Chapter Twenty-Six

T/W Brief mention of an eating disorder

"Lyla, Lyla, Lyla" Graham shouted in a sing-song voice, followed by an eruption of giggles.

"Do you remember when she first told us to call her Lyla?" I heard Damon ask Graham, he too laughing away.

I was in my bedroom trying to get ready, but I was getting far too distracted by their conversation. It was New Years Eve and the three of us thought we'd get ready together before going to the Groucho where the rest of the boys were going to be. We had already started on the champagne a bit too early and judging by their giggles outside my door, it had started to take its affect on them both.

"Yeah, she was only what, eight? Decided she didn't like her name anymore and that she wanted to go by her middle name instead" I heard Graham reminisce, I smiled as he spoke, I remembered it clearly. I was a bit of a weird child.

"But not even her full middle name, a nickname of her middle name. I mean, who does that?" Damon stated, his voice rising in pitch as he started to laugh.

"Fuck off" I shouted through the door at them "Alex goes by a nicknamed version of his middle name!"

"Yeah, but Alex is a bit weird too" Graham said absentmindedly.

I shook my head as I laughed and turned around to look at myself in the mirror, I let a smile grow on my face. I actually looked alright, I was now feeling grateful for that sun article all those months ago because skipping a few meals here and there had really done me some favours, I had never looked better.

"You ready boys?" I asked as I opened my bedroom door, they were both sat on the floor opposite, their legs sprawled out and their backs held up by the wall.

"You look amazing darling" Damon exclaimed with a smile as he pulled himself up from the floor, Graham following soon after.

"Really lovely Lyla" He mumbled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. His glasses were slightly wonky on his face and his cheeks were flushed, I couldn't help but laugh, he certainly wasn't making it to midnight.

The Groucho was absolutely heaving, I lost Damon and Graham pretty much as soon as we stepped foot in there. I know Damon had gone in search of Justine and I think Graham needed a sit down, I had made my way straight to the bar. The champagne had left me with a nice buzz, but I was nowhere near to the level I wanted to be on.

I contemplated ordering a gin and then a pint but ended up just buying a bottle of champagne, it was New Year's Eve after all. I wasn't planning on being silly enough to mix my grape and grain, I had intentions on ending the evening in a certain northerners bed, so I had to avoid vomiting at all costs.

After paying and thanking the barman, I headed off with my champagne, in search of someone I knew, luckily it wasn't long before I bumped into Alex.

"Lyla darling" He exclaimed with a smile, pulling me in for a hug and kissing my cheek.

"Great minds" I said with a laugh, gesturing to the champagne bottle he also had gripped in his hand. He just laughed and took a large swig from his bottle.

He grabbed hold of my hand and dragged me across the dance floor and over to a booth, I was relieved when I saw it was only Graham and Dave sat there, I had started to get a bit worried that Alex was leading me to Damien Hirst. A person I certainly wasn't drunk enough to even look at yet.

The night continued in a rather alcohol and drug tinted haze, I had tried so hard not to mix my drinks but it wasn't long before Alex was forcing vodka shots down my throat.

"Come dance with me Gra" I whined, pulling on his hand to try and get him to stand up. He pouted and shook his head.

"Noooooooo" He moaned with a sigh, before nodding his head in the direction of the dance floor.