Chapter 29:

"So this is your office?"
"Yes... I haven't cleaned it yet since there's a lot of work to do... Well, both paperwork and 'demon' work actually."

Chenle says as he looks around his office, observing which parts of the office he should clean the next time he's free from work. The two of them were walking around the orphanage after the long carriage ride. Jaemin missed this place, knowing that this isn't just a home for orphans but this was also once his home.

"Well, a lot of things changed here. Bookshelves? Rearranged. Floor? Polished. Cracks? Repaired. It almost feels like a different place but the sun that shines over these clean, shiny windows is somehow still the same."
"I know... Haechan probably invested most of his time in perfecting this once abandoned palace into a welcoming home for so many children and elves who were left with no families."
"... Maybe because he grew up without his own family?"
"... Well, that's just sad. It must've been hard for him to grow up like that... especially when his own father disowned him."

Chenle says, looking down at the floor as he feels bad for Haechan's unlively and depressing childhood. Of course, Chenle knew how it felt to be alone and to be tricked multiple times. Even Jaemin knew how it felt to be alone, considering that his own parents disowned him for being too feminine and not wanting to be a knight despite still wanting to help others.

They all had depressing backgrounds but those were supposed to make them stronger with the next challenger they have to face.

"Well... What are we supposed to do here?"
"... I wanted to visit this place first because there might've been other things that are still probably hidden here."
"What do you mean there are hidden things here? Didn't we move all of the things out before?"
"... Did we move the things from the dungeon?"
"... I don't think so."
"Then, I think we should check it out, right?"
"... Are we sure we're checking the dungeon first? Shouldn't we check the forest first to find Renjun's study-"
"Goddamn it, Jaemin."

They later proceeded to go outside after the little argument as they finally made up their minds that they should go look for Renjun's study instead, wandering around the forest to find the study that Renjun once owned. Chenle knew that he promised himself not to try and find Renjun's study as a way of giving his late friend "respect". However, he really couldn't do anything against it by now, knowing that this is one of the only ways to save... the world?

Confusing but it's actually true.

Demons never wait.

"You know, it's kind of a bad idea to do this by now. It's so hot out here!"
"... It was your idea, Jaemin. I told you that we should've at least searched inside the dungeon first."
"... Well, there's no going back now... Damn it, let's just find that study and search for the mirror shards after... Then, we'll go home."

Jaemin says as Chenle rolls his eyes before nodding, feeling more irritated them usual because of the heat. It was quite hard finding the study as they both knew that they're not used to going there anymore after Renjun's death. After a while, they finally saw the wooden study that was shining with a tremendous, golden glow in the middle of the green, vibrant forest.

"... Are we finally here?"
"... I think we are, Jaemin."

Chenle says as the two of them started to walk towards the large, beautifully carved wooden door of the study. The two of them glanced and nodded at each other before Chenle placed his hand on the golden handle, opening the door as they look inside. In the study, they finally saw all of Renjun's belongings still being placed at where he left all of them.

"It's been a long... time."

Surprisingly, the study was still clean as it was never even left dusty. Chenle looked around the study to see a folded sheet of paper in the form of a letter placed on Renjun's table as his curiosity grew, wanting to read the letter. Although he knew that doing that might invade Renjun's privacy so he decided not to read the letter.