Chapter 26

Heard about all the things you've done
And all the walls you've been in
Heard about all the love you lost
It was over before it began
Heard about all the miles you've gone just to start again
Heard about all the things you've been through
It sounds like you need a friend, a friend

                                        -Zayn Malik

                 **********

Jacob's POV

"Fuck!" A high pitched scream bounces off the walls and echoes through the room, probably throughout the whole house.

"How long does this go on for?" I ask, focusing on the ceiling and trying to ignore the obscene sounds that have been coming from the next room for over thirty minutes.

Jet-lag was setting in pretty hard, but I couldn't sleep because Reed's aunt and her new doctor boyfriend have been having a little too much fun in the next room.

I don't know if the walls of this house are very thin or they're just very loud, either way, this was very awkward.

James and Anikkah have been pretty nice so far. Reed has told me about her aunt and her tendencies to be verbally abusive, but so far she hasn't shown that side of her and I'd prefer if it remained that way, both for Reed's sake and mine.

I don't think cussing out her aunt would be a good idea, especially if I planned on living with them.

But she didn't know me, well she didn't know more than the basic information I gave her over dinner, and she didn't know how much of a part of Reed's life I was.

I'd do anything to protect her, even if that meant I'd end of being homeless in a foreign country.

I wondered how Reed had been coping this past month, but she said she was fine. So I tried to believe her.

"They've been going at it for the past week." Reed replies dully, turning to lay on her back and stare at the ceiling as well.

"All week?"

"Dr.James had this week off, so I guess they decided to utilize all of their time. But he's going back to work tomorrow so sleep is still in our future." She explains quietly.

"Have you actually been getting sleep?" I can't help but ask, turning to examine her features in the dim lighting but she doesn't turn to look at me, even though I know she can feel my eyes on her.

I wasn't going to pretend I didn't notice the dark circles around her eyes and the bags underneath. She looks like she hasn't slept in days; and knowing her, I know she probably hasn't.

She just bites her bottom lip, but doesn't say anything as she continues to stare at the ceiling.

Her silence is enough of an answer for me. Something is up.

I worry about Reed, literally all the time, because I love her and I know she has the tendency to relapse. Her nightmares are the only thing I could never save her from. It's not like I can jump into her mind and kick whoever's ass is bothering her; as much as I wish I could.

So it killed me this past month not being right by her side each day, or laying next to her each night. If there wasn't much I could do when I was beside her, you can imagine how even more useless I felt being thousands of miles away from her.

I was having difficulty sleeping without her, so I wonder how much she would have been struggling without me.

"You know, I think I'd have survived not knowing what your aunt's moans sounded like." I say, thinking out loud. She rolls her eyes and shoves my face, making me laugh and pull her into my chest.