Chapter 7

At some point during this journey we're all on,
we come to a realization that not everything, or everyone is quite significant,
Some are just extras
But that doesn't make you a main character,
it rather just highlights what and who you should give priority to, deem important, be bothered and even influenced by
Some are rather a significance as to harnessing development and actualising your purpose.

-PreshyKenna

Reed's POV

Discomfort.

It's a feeling I am well acquainted with.

Agony.

It's all I've known for almost a decade.

Pain.

It was a cushion to break my fall into reality.

These three feelings hit a new peak, far more than I've ever known, when my period comes.

I didn't realize I had drank that much last night. But the pang in my head as I woke up this morning, and the fact that I can barely remember the events of last night proves otherwise.

To top off my wonderful Christmas morning, the little red pool I discovered on the bedsheet underneath me, announced my unwelcome monthly visitor. And she didn't hold back on her special season cramps.

I don't know what time it is but I know I have been up for a few hours. Getting up seems to be the challenge. I have been curled up in this fetal position in bed, clutching my stomach and going through my monthly resentment of my gender.

I get cut by a particularly strong cramp, grunting in pain as I feel my insides are being fed through the familiar imaginary meat grinder.

That's the most irritating thing about cramps- you never know when it's going to hit, but it always feels like someone is bowling in your uterus.

I clench my teeth at the painful pressure in my lower back and followed my ritual; closing my eyes and focusing on my breathing, trying to ignore how badly it hurts.

I always had extremely painful periods when I was growing up. My mom always thought I was just being dramatic. She used to tell me that I wasn't the only person in the world that used to see my period, yet I acted like I was in labor.

With the way my cramps used to shoot through me periodically and ever so painfully like contractions, I might as well be.

My thoughts are interrupted by a few soft knocks on the door.

"Reed?" Harry calls out from the other side of the door. "Reed, are you in there?"

It takes every bit of energy for me to tell him to come in, and my voice still croaks at the end. I can't help how dry my throat feels.

There's a pause and I don't think he heard me until he gently opens the door and peeps through the crack.

"Hi." He smiles softly, not budging from his spot at the doorway.

"Good morning." I croak, hiding a grimace as I try to turn my face from where it's half buried against the pillow to look up at him.

"Um Reed? It's two in the afternoon." He laughs nervously, scratching the back of his neck.

I turn to check the clock at my nightstand. 2:06

"Oh." is all I say back.

"Are you ok? You're usually up before I am." He furrows his eyebrows.

"I'm fine." I try to breathe out when a tight squeezing cramp pierces my side.

"So what I'm hearing is you're a shitty liar." He shakes his head mockingly and steps into the room, shutting the door behind him.