31.

-----------------------------

Emma could barely open her eyes. Her body felt like it had been run over by a car again and again.
 Is it over? Am I out?

Probably not since she had asked herself that question a hundred times now. She tried blinking past her tears to see clearly. A figure clad in all black crouched opposite to her. It was probably here to rip her heart out or hammer nails into her skull. 

But the figure only reached forward and ran a thumb across her cheekbones, wiping away her tears.
" You're out," Adrian said. Emma sighed in relief.

" You're still here," she said, surprised. She could not move, her body was numb to the bone. But she felt a certain relief settle over her. She was smiling, she realized. 

" Firstly, it didn't seem very honorable of me to leave a lady to die. Secondly, that smile I'd say was worth the wait. But now that you're awake I must return to New Orleans." 

Her eyes had started to droop again, exhaustion heavy on her body. 

" You...you're not going to fall asleep here, are you?" 

" I just might," she mumbled. 

" Where do you live?"

" Kai's. But I can't go there today." Because even though she'd died several times today she was still furious that he'd chosen to help Bonnie than be here with her. And also because if Adrian turned up with her looking half dead Kai would probably stab him first and then ask questions. 

" Kai, your lover? Why can't you rest at his place?" 

Lover. Her lips curved upward. She liked the sound of it. " I don't even want to know who tipped you off that information," Emma said. " But I don't want to go there today. Besides, I like it here." She delved her hands into the cold grass just to show him how much she liked it. Adrian rolled his eyes. 

He started saying something but his words blurred together as she felt herself drifting away

He started saying something but his words blurred together as she felt herself drifting away. Just before she was swept into a dreamless sleep she heard him say, " The spell will wear off when you wake up. Oh and Emma, Happy Birthday."