10.

---------------------------

The night air grew cold as they sat beneath a tree, a few blocks away from the salvatore house. Emma went over kai's stupid plan again.

" So...you want to sneak into the house and stay there and spy on them... without them knowing ? "

" That's right." His eyes had turned dark with excitement.

" No, that's stupid. How are we supposed to stay there without them finding out? Especially when the handsome one is a vampire!"

" Handsome?" he scowled. " He's not much of a charmer. I mean he's kind of annoying don't you think ?"

She rolled her eyes. "How are we supposed to even get in?"

" Easy. When they're asleep; which
is now. " He gets up and gestures for her to follow.

She was excited but couldn't help the questions that rose into her mind." What if they catch us ?"

" They won't."

" But-" She was about to point out that if they were caught they would likely be blood bags for the vampire but she was interrupted by Kai shushing her. Prick.

They reached the front door of the house. " Its not like they're gonna leave the door open," Emma stated.

" Do the spell. The one I taught you," Kai said and folded his arms waiting for her to perform it.

Emma nodded. She gently placed her hand on the door knob. She inhaled a long breath. Focused her power and imagined opening the door. Nothing happened. She sighed.

She was about to take off her hand off the knob when Kai's hand wrapped around her. " Tighter," he said. " Hold the door knob tighter and try again."

She did. She wrapped her hand tighter around the knob and focused her power on one place and imagined opening the door. And it worked! The door was open. For the first time her magic worked with ease.

She was about to beam with excitement when Kai's hand wrapped around her mouth. His chest pressed against her own. She felt his hot breaths fanning the side of her face. She turned to look at him and he too had a proud look on his face.

" We'll celebrate in the bedroom darling," he whispers in her ear. She elbowed him in the stomach.

The house was huge. She was amazed by the sight of it but kai had taken shelter in the kitchen rummaging through the shelves .

" These are the most annoying people I've ever met," he said.

" You haven't even met them," Emma said, leaning against the counter.

" Look at this fridge.Its filled with stuff that no one eats. No wonder they're always arguing."

Emma laughed. " Come on," he said and headed up the stairs. She followed.

Just as they were about to turn around a corner, a croaking sound stopped them both. Emma peaked from behind a wall and watched a room door open. The Bennett witch walked out and she was headed their way. Emma's eyes widened, she turned towards Kai, horrified.

He pulled her by the arm to the nearest door. This room was just like the others-wooden floors, dark curtains and furniture and a huge bed with white sheets.

Bonnie would've gone the other way had it not been for that stupid sound doors make.

"Damon?" They both heard her voice.

" The closet! Quick!" Kai said.

" Are you kidding? There's barely place for one. "

" GO! " he half shoved her into it and then squeezed in himself and closed the door.

It was completely dark. Emma put her hands out and they land on his arms. He took her hands and placed them around his neck.

Emma was glad that it was dark. At least now he couldn't see her blush.

Kai was breathing heavily. As if realising that after all these years there was actually a chance at getting out.

I can't mess this up, she thought.

Emma's magic grasped onto Kai's mind and she felt like someone had drew an arrow through her heart. Emma knew Kai had his share of suffering but this....

All those years he spent all alone waiting for death .

All that time he spent coming up with different ways to kill himself.

Waiting for him to break into tears but he doesn't.

Tears threatened to fall. Emma didn't even realise that she was leaning against him, head buried against his shoulder. His hands hanged awkwardly at his side. She found them in the dark and guided them around her waist. They stay there for a while but then tightened around her.

She smiled.

Emma leaned back and Kai lowered his head so that she could whisper in his ear. They were so close that if she moved an inch to the right she'd be kissing him. She was about to when the door to the room opened with a croaking sound. Kai leaned in and whispered, "Quiet ."

" Damon?" Bonnie asked. There was a long stretching silence.

Kai pulled Emma closer. His hands forming a cage around her body. His lips lingered on the side of her face.

" Is she gone? " Emma whispered in his ear.

" I hope not, " said Kai.

--------------------------