4.

Two months later

Emma woke up to the sound of pencil scribbling against dry paper. She sat up on her elbows, adjusting her eyes to the dimly lit room. She turned to find Kai comfortably sitting on his favourite chair, legs sprawled on the coffee table in front of him. He sat with his sketch pad in his hand.

" Don't move," he ordered. Emma ignored his words.

" When did I fall asleep? " She asked, rubbing her eyes. She hadn't been able to sleep the entire night. So she'd stayed awake reading.

"Right after lunch. Don't move."

" You're sketching....me? Am I not supposed to be naked for that sort of thing?"

" Good idea," he said. He smirked and Emma knew he was imagining her naked. She threw a pillow at him.

The first month she'd arrived here she'd mostly kept to herself. Not talking or coming out of her room for days. Kai hadn't bothered her because it was not like she was of any use to him.

"Can I see? " She asked.

" No." Prick.

She groaned laying back on the couch. She'd been stuck here for almost three months now. Kai had made it clear long ago that there was no way out. So she woke up every day and pretended this was the real world. Kai's constant talking made it easier to get through the day.

"Oh and by the way, we're out of groceries. We gotta go to the store," he said, when she didn't make any move to get up he added, "Now."

Emma only turned her back on him, burying her face in the pillow under her head.

"Come on Em," He said and softly nudged her to get up.

" Em?"

" It's short. Sweet. Unless you rather I call you Emmaline?"

" How did you-" but he'd already left the room. Sighing, she got up and followed him.

-----------------------------

The drive to the store was short.  Emma asked Kai about what he did in the prison world for fun to which he replied he killed himself. She couldn't tell if he was joking.

He looked pleasingly happy at the sight of pork rinds. Big baby, Emma thought. She walked silently next to him. Every now and then he'd say something. Offering her pieces of information about this place.

They reached the drinks section and Emma grabbed a bottle of strawberry hill wine. She opened it and took a sip. The sweet, fuzzy and sour taste burned down her throat. " This is so good. You gotta try this. "

He took the bottle from her hand and took a long sip. "This is good but you know what, nothing beats Zima."

Emma rolled her eyes but couldn't help the smile that formed on her face. Kai walked away to get some Jam.She followed. Her legs aching as she made her way to the next aisle. Probably because of the uncomfortable position she'd sat in all night, reading. " Kai," she called.

" Hmm." He was surveying the bottles of strawberry and mixed fruit Jam on the shelf.

" Mixed fruit." Emma decided for him.

"Good that," said Kai.

"My legs hurt so much," Emma said. Kai sighed, already knowing what she was about to do.

"Hey, what a coincidence. My legs hurt too. Do you mind giving me a  massage?" She rolled her eyes. It's like he enjoys annoying me.

" Wait....," She said. She put her weight on the cart as she pulled herself in. Just like the other couple times they'd been at the store. Kai talked and Emma sat in the cart listening.