24.

----------------------------------------

Damon sat on a chair in front of the hearth in the living room. His head felt heavy. Like someone had dug claws deep into his skull.

He'd spent his day babysitting Kai. Elena had ordered to not kill him after all. Everything would be so much easier if he'd just kill him. Before he got to Alaric's house he-

Before, he thought. What happened before I got to Alaric's house? Where was I?

Damon didn't care. Or at least he pretended he didn't. He took a long swing of his drink. The smoky sweetness burned down his throat.

He closed his eyes. All he could think about was Luke. And how Jo had held his body. Kai had won.

Kai.

Slowly, he felt like a key being turned in his mind. Like something was being pulled together. He couldn't grasp what it was. The feeling had arose when he'd thought about Kai. So he willed his mind to think harder.
Kai. The merge.

A thought formed in the corner of his mind. He didn't know what it meant.

" But if he does...you will kill yourself. Now. Sleep."

-------------------------------

Something was wrong. There was this feeling in his chest that kept growing stronger. It kept snatching the air out of his lungs, creating a nauseous feeling that he didn't like. Kai ignored it.

He was the coven leader now. He'd done it. Proved everyone wrong. By merging with Luke.

It doesn't matter, he told himself. He chose to merge with me. And he lost. I warned him.

He couldn't wait to tell Emma. Couldn't wait to watch her lips twitch upward into that radiant smile. She could now easily get her revenge for what the coven did to her brother. They both could.

Kai had texted her earlier that he'd bring dinner. But he wasn't sure he could wait that long before telling her.

Kai knocked on the door impatiently. Smiling ear to ear. "Emma!"

No answer came. He knocked harder when the door came off its hinges and fell on the floor with a loud thud.

Kai stepped into the room, fixing the door back in its jambs using his magic. "I guess I really pissed you off huh," he called loudly.

Maybe she's asleep.

He moved through the narrow passage to his bedroom. " Em?" He opened the door. The light in his eyes instantly dimmed when he didn't find her there. He looked in the other spare room. She wasn't there either.