27.

---------------------------------

The night couldn't get any better. Sure some people believed being cornered in an alley by a mugger to be unfortunate but not Kai. Not when his mind was already coming up with ways he could make the guy beg for his life. Or perhaps he'd spare him since he was on vacation with his girl. The alcohol really was doing its job. Consider sparing? Really kai?

Kai looked at Emma and had to press his lips to avoid smiling at the act she put on. Wide eyes, hands behind her head and breathing heavily as if she was going to have an asthma attack. She could have the guy dead in a heartbeat. Her eyes met his and she broke into a laugh.

" You didn't even last a minute," said Kai.

"He bought it," she said, turning to the mugger. "Didn't you?"

"Hands above your head," he yelled, pointing the gun at them. "Or I'm gonna fucking blow your drunken minds off."

" If you came looking for money," said Kai. " We don't have any. We just got out of prison like a couple months ago. Now I'd really like to get back to what I was doing so if you'd jus-"

Kai could have spared him. Would have. But the mugger took out a knife, pulling Emma by the hair so she lost her balance and placed it at her throat. "Your watch," The guy sputtered. " Your watch and wallet. Hand it over." He pressed the knife harder against her neck. "Hand it over or she gets it."

The audacity.

Emma winced." My arm," she said softly. "You're hurting my arm."

Kai's eyes travelled to where the guys other hand was tightened on her arm holding her still.

" Liv struck me with glass earlier. I didn't heal it," Emma said to him.

" Let me see."

" If you don't shut-" Emma flicked her wrist, breaking the muggers leg. He fell on the ground with a thud, groaning in pain.

Kai paid him no attention as he pulled Emma towards him and took off her jacket, slowly, being extra careful with her left hand where the leather was stuck to the skin. By the looks of it, it had to hurt pretty bad. And was probably infected. So why didn't she heal it?

Emma hissed in pain as Kai ran his thumb along the long open wound.

" Want me to heal it?" He asked. A nod. Kai closed his eyes, murmuring the spell under his breath. A cold wind swept by and Emma huddled closer to him.