39.

------------------------------------

The prison world was behind them. It brought Emma a sense of freedom, and for the first time in days she slept carelessly, without having to keep an eye open for the threat of starving heretics. They were back in Kai's old apartment, Emma curled in soft blankets and Kai was-

" Honey, I'm off," he crooned. She didn't have to see to know that he was smiling like the Cheshire cat. When she didn't stir he added, " No, seriously, get up. I'm late for my job."

"Terrorizing people?"

"That's the one." 

She lifted herself up from the comfortable nestle of blankets and was immediately steered back down by Kai's weight pressing against her. " What...Oh-" she was cut off by his lips against hers. His insistent mouth parted her shaking lips as he pushed her hands back, pining them above her. She smiled against him.

Kai drew his brows together. To his surprise, Emma pulled away, leaned into his neck and chuckled. Did I do something...wrong? 

" I like this," she said. It took him a moment to understand what she meant. It was always one mission after another. One revenge after another. One amendment and then the next. After tonight, there would be none of that. And somewhere deep down he too liked not having to know what he was supposed to do next. 

He kissed her once again, her soft hair brushing against his cheek as their mouths slid together smoothly. He could not get carried away today, no matter how much he relished the feel of her under him. Kai broke apart and pulled Emma to her feet, he chose to ignore her moan of protest just this once. " Want me to tell you the plan again?" he asked. 

" I remember. I'm meeting you outside the hall at six–" 

" Seven," he reminded her. He sauntered off towards the living room, Emma trailed after him, yawning. " I'll put a spell on the door," he said. " No one can enter that way. It will wear off at seven. What do you– Seriously, wake up." Emma forced her eyes open from where she was leaning against the wall. "There's coffee in the kitchen."

"Will...uh...is Lily–"

" She's going to give me her blood."

" Right." The coven will try to imprison him again. The blood was for his own good. It would make him stronger. He would still be Kai.

" Emma–"

She grabbed his arm, her expression softening. " No, I understand." Her eyes were insistent, bright and honest, and he believed her.

" Alright," he said. " I know-" He stopped when Emma leaned forward and pressed her lips against his cheek. She'd already confessed to him that she loved him, so these small acts of affection should be no surprise to him, but still it left him speechless every time. It was different than when he kissed her, that was instinct. Wanting to feel something. But he knew it was pure love when she did it. His chest warmed, heat creeping into his face.