30.

-------------------------------

The bar was a ghost town. Slow music poured out from the speakers, a couple swayed slowly, leaning their head on each others shoulders. Emma tore her gaze away from them, gulping down her drink. 

" Look," Mickey said. " I'm sure he'll come around."

" I hope he'll realize soon that it isn't worth getting hurt again," Emma said.

She hadn't meant to come to the bar after the fight with Kai. She was just passing by when she'd caught sight of Mickey sulking in a corner, drinking away his sorrows. She'd approached him, skeptical that he'd want to hear what she had to say. But he listened carefully, quietly. She told him everything she thought she'd never be able to speak aloud. 

" I know its too much to digest," she'd said. " But you deserved to know. And maybe you'll hate me, maybe I deserve it. I know I can't change what happened, but I can give you this one thing. There's a way you can talk to him one last time."  

His hand reached across the table and clasped tightly around hers, holding on as if it were the only thing keeping him together. " I'm sorry,"  he'd said. 

What for? Emma had wondered. 

" I'm sorry," he'd said again. His eyes had turned glassy and a tear trailed down his cheek. Mickey buried his head in his shoulder, breathing short heavy breaths. "I did not mean what I'd said to you." 

Something crumpled in her chest. But I deserved it. Emma ran a soothing hand up and down his arm until he was breathing normal again.
" Its okay," she'd said. " You're alright." She remembered Kai softly speaking those words to her. She wondered if she would ever hear him say them again. 

They'd both sat quiet. The silence anything but uncomfortable. When he spoke again, he'd said, " Well, that asshole better be ready when I see him cause he's gonna pay for making me cry." 

They'd ordered food, talked. Mickey asked her why she looked like she'd been crying before she came up to him, so she'd told him about the fight with Kai. Mickey spoke to her as if she were an old friend. The cursing in every sentence with a mouth full of food being the highlight of the night. 

Finally, when it was well past three in the morning, they decided it was time to head home. The atmosphere was cold and she wanted nothing but to huddle next to Kai. She would if they hadn't argued earlier.

Gods, it was like all he could think about was her. I have to do this for Bonnie and that for Bonnie. Idiot. 

She didn't notice someone standing outside when she opened the door and slammed it into the person's face. Behind her Mickey tried hard to stifle his laugh and failed. "Shit, I'm so-"  She stopped herself. "Liv," Emma said.