Thirty Six: Decision

Lexi's POV - A few weeks later

Luke and I were at the coffee shop on campus, studying for our finals. School is finished in a couple weeks, and then we have about three months off for summer break. Studying in the coffee shop was a good change from studying in the dorm. Sam and Noah were supposed to join us to study today, but I guess they were busy with other things. 

I sighed in frustration, wanting to set my chemistry study guide on fire and never have to look at it again. 

"Do you want a coffee?" Luke asked me, looking up from his biology assignment.

"Hmm, sure." I responded, realizing I had my psychology class next, which is my long one that doesn't finish until 7:00 at night. I definitely needed an energy boost. Luke got up to go get our coffees, and I took the opportunity to check my phone before returning to my assignment. I saw that Sam had texted about an hour ago, saying that her and Noah just ended up studying at their place. I also had a text from my lab partner for chemistry, Emily, asking about our project that was due soon. 

"Here you go, love." Luke returned, placing an iced coffee in front of me. 

"Thank you babe." I smiled. I put my phone in my backpack and got focused again. After awhile of working, Luke's phone began to ring and he sighed before answering it. 

"Hey mom." He answered. I had never met his mom, obviously, since she lives in Australia. I've 'met' her over facetime before, and she's really sweet. There was a long pause before Luke spoke again.

"No... I haven't talked to her about it yet." I heard him say as I worked out a formula. "Her"? It made me wonder who his mom was talking about, if it was maybe me? Or his sister, or another family member? 

"I'll get back to you soon, okay? Say hi to Liv and dad for me." He said, before putting his phone down on the table. He sounded stressed and I didn't know if I should ask about it or not. I was about to ask when my boyfriend started to talk. 

"That was my mom, as you heard. She wants me to come home for the summer, and she... well I really want you to come with me. My family wants to meet you, my mom already loves you from what I've told her and from talking to you on the phone. You could even get a job for the summer, I usually work for my dad. You could too." Luke explained. I didn't know what to say. Luke must have sensed my shock.

"I know it's a lot to think about, considering it would be for about 3 months. Take all the time to think it through and just let me know what you decide, okay?" He smiled. 

"Okay." I nodded. My phone's timer sound interrupted my thoughts, telling me I needed to head to class. I packed up my stuff and kissed Luke on the cheek before walking to class. 

I tried to focus in class but all I could think about was what Luke told me. I really did want to go with him but... three months is a long time. I mean Sammy and I had a lot of plans for the summer, and I don't even know if my parents would be okay with it. Before I knew it, class ended and I hadn't taken many notes which I knew I'd regret later. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and texted Sam.

Me: Hey can you meet me at my dorm? 

I knew Luke and Jc were in class right now, and they would be for at least another hour. She responded only a minute later.

Sam: Of course, I'll be over in a few minutes.

I walked across campus to the dorms and we ended up at the dorm at the same time.

"Is everything okay?" Sammy asked as I unlocked the door. 

"Yeah. I just wanted to talk to you about something." I nodded. We went in and sat down on Luke and I's bed. 

"Luke is going back home for the summer, to Australia, and he wants me to come with him..." I explained. Sam's eyes widened.

"Would you be gone all summer??" She asked.

"Yeah... that's the thing. You and I have been looking forward to this summer for months now, since school started pretty much. And I don't know how my parents would feel about it either. I mean I know I don't live at home now but-" I rambled, but was interrupted.

"Exactly, you don't live at home anymore, so they can't control what you do." She pointed out. "Yeah, I was looking forward to the summer, and doing everything we've talked about. But if you want to go then you should go." 

"You think I should?" I asked her quietly.

"Yes, are you kidding? You should go and make memories, and really start living life. That's something we've talked about recently, remember? We only live once, so we should be making the most out of it." Sammy smiled. 

"And Australia, hasn't that been on your bucket list for a long time now?" She questioned. I thought about what she said, like really thought about it. 

"You're right. I'm gonna talk to Luke about it tonight." I smiled nervously. 

"Good." She nodded. "And if you get homesick you could always leave early to come home." 

We talked about it for a few more minutes before Noah called Sammy, wanting her back at their place for something. Jc got home shortly after Sam left, and he ended up helping me with studying for literature until Luke finished class. I promised to help him with a graphic design project which served as his final, since he was helping me. 

A few hours later, Jc ended up going to a party, after all it was a Friday night, leaving Luke and I at home. We were watching a movie, deciding to take a break from school for a little while. 

"Hey babe?" I asked Luke, wondering if he had fallen asleep.

"Yes love?" He responded.

"I really thought today, about what you talked to me about earlier. I want to come home with you for the summer." I told him. 

"Oh my god really?" He asked, excitement in his voice.

"Yes."  I giggled. "I talked with Sammy after my class and we had a good conversation about it."

"You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to it baby." He said, kissing my forehead and pulling me closer to him. I soon felt myself getting tired and gave in, letting my eyes close. I fell asleep, engulfed in Luke's arms and the familiar smell of his cologne, and the movie playing quietly in the background.