Ten: I Like You

Lexi's POV

I stood barefoot on the cool concrete as the paramedics loaded Sam, laying on a stretcher, into the ambulance. The cops were speaking to Theo who was leaning against the car in handcuffs. I had texted Luke a little while ago and let him know what happened, but apparently word got around school pretty quickly. Other students peered out of dorm windows at the scene below. I had finally stopped crying about ten minutes ago, but we had to wait awhile for the ambulance- it was already

"Is it okay if Michael and I go with Sam? There's only room for two in the ambulance." Noah asked me from a few feet away.

"Yeah, you go." I nodded, forcing a smile. He got in the ambulance once the doors were shut, the red sped away, lights flashing. The evening breeze caused me to pull my arms in tighter to my body. Theo and I made eye contact and he glared at me, for a reason I'm not sure of.

"Lexi?" I heard a voice behind me and turned around to see Kian walking towards me.

"Hi." I quietly said.

"Luke is looking for you." He told me. I looked at him skeptically.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"My friend Jc and I are in the dorm next to his." He responded. "Just thought you'd want to know."

"Thank you." I nodded, walking inside the building and going up to my floor, which was Luke's floor also. I was about to call his name down the halls, but remembered it was almost midnight. I went to the end of the floor where the stairwell was and saw a blond haired boy walking up.

"Luke." I said, feeling relieved.

"There you are." He sighed, pulling me into a tight hug. I couldn't help but cry as soon as he hugged me.

"It's gonna be okay." He whispered. I nodded, but I wasn't sure if I even believed myself.

THE NEXT DAY

I woke up at 10:28 after a long night of tossing and turning. I couldn't fall asleep and then once I did, I kept waking up from nightmares or just the smallest noises. Michael and Noah ended up staying overnight at the hospital with Sammy, and Luke and I are going to go see them today. I got dressed in a pair of leggings and threw on a big sweatshirt. Once I'd fixed my hair and grabbed my purse, I walked over to Luke's dorm and knocked. He answered only seconds after.

"Good morning. Ready to go?" He greeted.

"Yeah... ready as I'll ever be." I laughed a little, but my smile quickly faded.

"I'm sure Sam's doing well, she's in good hands there." He reassured me. 

...

"Sam's not doing well." The doctor said to us when we arrived in the waiting room of the hospital. We were on the 10th floor, the ICU.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Noah and Michael were in the waiting room too.

"We performed the emergency surgery and afterwards it was supposed to smooth sailing but there was a lot of internal bleeding. If it doesn't stop soon we're gonna have to do another surgery." She broke the news. I breathed in deeply.

"Well can we go see her at least?" I asked. The doctor looked around at us.

"Are you family?" She asked.

"No, I'm her best-" I was saying til she cut me off.

"Then no. Family members only at the moment." She sympathetically smiled before walking away.

"Family members only." Noah mocked the doctor, trying to lighten the mood. Everyone sat down but I stayed standing. 

"I'll be back." I told Luke. I decided to go for a walk, not wanting to sit in that awful ER waiting room. I walked down a long hallway, which I realized was the children's wing. There were families sitting along the walls, with little kids who probably didn't realize what was happening. I made it to the end of the hallway, with a large window from ceiling to floor. I looked out at all the buildings and all the lights below. The sky was black and the stars were out but the city was glowing. For some reason my mind then traveled back to the summer before senior year of high school. 

FLASHBACK 

I pulled my too-big sweatshirt over my wet swimsuit as Sam, Theo and I sat on the beach as the sun set over the water in front of us. I picked up my beer from the sand and took a sip. 

"I can't wait to graduate. Do you know how many adventures we're gonna go on?" I said to Sam, who was in Theo's arms. 

"More like how much trouble are we gonna get into." Theo laughed, taking a sip of his drink. For constantly being the third wheel here, I didn't feel like one. The three of us are so close. 

"Just enough for us not to get into legal trouble?" Sam asked. 

"That's my girl." Theo amusingly said, kissing Sam. 

"Gross." I fake gagged just to annoy them. 

"Shut up. Just wait til you get a boyfriend." Theo glared at me. 

"Boyfriend?" I scoffed, "I'm a lone wolf. I don't need a guy holding me back from living life." 

"So Alexander wasn't a boyfriend?" Sammy asked me with a skeptical look. 

"Oh he was, but we don't talk about him." I said, quickly taking another sip of my drink. 

"Anyways... we should get going so you guys don't get in trouble for being out so late." Theo said. 

"Aww, Theo's worried about us." Sammy said in a baby voice. 

"Aww." I responded as Theo rolled his eyes at us. 

"C'mon dorks." He said as we packed our stuff up and left the beach. 

END OF FLASHBACK

I thought about how Theo was so good to Sam, and how even though I always said I was on my own and didn't want a guy, I secretly did. I wanted what they had. I thought about how Theo and Sam and I used to be the closest ever, and now it was like he was a completely different person. But how? 

I was interrupted from my thoughts when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Luke. 

"I just wanted to check on you... make sure you were okay." He said quietly. 

"I.. don't know." I said, and he pulled me into him tightly. I wrapped my arms around his torso and he planted a kiss on my forehead. 

"I like you a lot, Luke." I whispered, looking up at him, causing him to smile, and that itself causing me to smile too. 

"I like you a lot too." He said, hugging me again and resting his chin on my head. 

a/n; well that was kinda cute 

lexi