Chapter 51

When Jellal and Erza finished comforting their daughter they went back into the living room to talk to Mystogan about what happened the other night. He described the events to them the best way he could and he hoped that after hearing him they wouldn't think that he had lost his mind.

"So the oven, the toaster, the computer, the TV, and everything relating to that just came to life and attacked Wendy?" Jellal said after his brother told him the whole story. "Mystogan by any chance is what's going on with Dad genetic?"

"I know it sounds crazy but I swear that's what I saw and there was something else too. As she was being dragged into the oven I thought I saw something grab her and pull her from the machines and when the oven exploded something moved her to safety and shielded her. I think...I think someone saved her."

"Who?"

"I didn't see anyone."

"what do you mean you didn't see anyone?"

"I mean I didn't see anyone there except Wendy. What else could it mean? It was so weird. It was like some paranormal force was at work."

"That's ridiculous." Erza said. There's no such thing as paranormal forces. It was probably an extreme power outage."

"That locked me out of my own house? That doesn't make sense. No, that was no extreme power outage. I don't know what I saw but that wasn't it."

"Well it's definitely not some paranormal activity."

"That's what it looked like to me and Erza I'm surprised your so quick to dismiss that theory. I mean after all you kind of grew up with it."

But saying that was a mistake because in that moment Erza stood up in a quick manner that made her body go stiff. She opened her mouth to say something, then closed it, thought for a moment, and said something else instead.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

She went upstairs after that and Jellal looked at his brother with a glare.

"Mystogan you idiot! I told you never to mention that!"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset her. It just slipped out."

"You know how much that part of her life upsets her."

"Again I didn't say it to be cruel it's just that maybe she shouldn't be so closed minded to forces that can't be explained. With what she saw growing up-"

"Growing up she never saw anything paranormal Mystogan. That's the point. All she saw was her mother losing her mind until she had to be taken away."

"You know I never believed Irene was crazy. I thought that she could actually see them."

"She couldn't Mystogan. No one can. It's not possible and it broke Erza's heart when she finally accepted it." He got up from his chair. "Now if you'll excuse me I have to now comfort my wife because you open an old wound."

He left after that. Mystogan slumped into his chair and hung his head down in shame. Even though he was sure that he was right about what he saw, he had no intention of doing or saying anything that would hurt his sister in-law or anger his brother.

"What was that about?" A voice asked.

He turned to see Wendy coming down the stairway looking confused and worried.

"Hi sweetie." Mystogan said. "How much of that did you hear?"

"Only bits and pieces. Is everything okay?"

"It's nothing you need to worry about. your uncle here just did something really stupid."

"What did you do?"