Chapter 45

Wendy blew in frustration. She had combed through nearly every book in the library that had any information about the town of Magnolia and who had lived in it but she found absolutely nothing about the old house. It was like there was no history about it at all. No records, no dates, nothing. How could that be? 

"So you didn't find anything?" Gray asked when she told them what happened the next morning.

"Not a thing." She said. "It's so weird. This house has been here for a century and there's no written history about it in this entire town. It's like it just appeared out of nowhere or something. Had no one lived here before me and my parents moved in? Do you guys know?"

"Not for sure." Juvia said. "But it was completely abandoned when we moved in."

"Cana doesn't recommend us moving into houses that have live people living there." Natsu said.

"Well someone must have lived here before we all showed up. Other wise why was the house built in the first place?" Wendy said.

"Well I'm not an expert on stuff like this but from what I've learned from being amici with the undead mafia it's that when something has been around for a long time and there's no known record of it anywhere it usually means that somebody's trying to hide something."

"I don't understand."

"What I'm trying to say kid is that maybe there were records of this house but someone got rid of them."

"Okay but why would someone do that?"

"Duh. Why else would anyone get rid of records? It's to cover up a secret. Question is though what's the secret and who's the someone that's trying to keep it under wraps?"

"Okay either I've finally reached the pearly gates or Natsu is making sense." Gray said.

"As I said when you get involved with mafia you learn some things."

"But if it's all covered up how am I supposed to find out anything?" Wendy asked.

"Just because it's covered up here doesn't mean it's covered up in other places." Natsu said. "That's the funny thing about history, it never goes away completely and it always gets around one way or another."

"I get it." Wendy said. "So Magnolia doesn't have anything on this house but it's neighbor town Edolas might. My Uncle Mystogan lives there and he's one of the top historians in that town. I can't say for sure if he'd know anything but it wouldn't hurt to ask." 

"Smart thinking kid."

"I'll ask my parents if I can stay with him and my grandpa for a day or two. That way not only can I talk to him but maybe I could check their library for something."

"Do you want us to come with you dear?" Juvia asked.

"I don't know. I'm worried that something might come out of your world and terrorize my parents while I'm gone. You four stay here and- Wait a minute I only see three of you. Where's Lucy?"

"She's gonna be out for awhile." Natsu said. "Last night she had a flashback that took a real toll on her."

"She'll be alright but there's no telling when she'll come to." Juvia said.

"Okay. But again I think it would be best if you all stay here and make sure that nothing happens to my parents."

"We'll protect them with our existence." Gray said. "But just in case you need us take this."

He handed something to Wendy. It was a stone with a hole in it. 

"What's this?" Wendy asked.

"It's a spirit stone. If you look through it you can see things for what they really are but if you whistle through it we'll hear you and come running."