Chapter 1

Inspired by media and books such as Beetlejuice, Coraline, Paranorman, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Casper, The Haunted Mansion, and Corpse Bride.

Wendy met her new friends after she and her parents moved into their new house. But new wasn't exactly the right word to use. It was a very old house, very old and very big. It was estimated to have been built back in 1887 which was over a hundred years ago but the funny thing was no one really knew who built the house or who lived in it originally. It was filled with many rooms and stairways so when the realtors decided to sell it they had the house remolded and closed off some of the other flats.

"What do you think of our new house Wendy?" Her father asked when their car pulled in front of the large and rather antique looking house.

"It sure is big." The girl observed. "What if we get lost in this house?"

"That won't happen dear." Said her mother. "A lot of the other flats have been closed off."

"Why?" Wendy asked.

"Because it's just too big for only three people to live in."

Her parents Jellal and Erza had been married for thirteen years. They started out as childhood friends then became high school sweethearts, they talked about marriage but decided to wait til after college. But plans changed on prom night 1974 where after a long night of dancing the two decided to spend the night at a motel. One week later Erza found out she was pregnant and that soon led to wedding bells.

With a new baby on the way the two had to get jobs fast. They started out as a waitress and a mechanic and eventually worked their way up to being a writer for catalogs and a photographer for adds and billboards. For them money was always in danger of becoming scarce so they had to work a lot and sometimes that work kept them from their daughter. Now they in no way shape or form did they neglect or ignore Wendy they just didn't always have the time to talk to her or entertain her.

"Do you have to start writing now?" Wendy asked when she saw her mother start typing on the computer almost as soon as they had finished unpacking. "I was hoping that maybe we could walk  around the house, take a look at what's growing."

"I'm sorry Wendy but I have a dead line to keep." Erza told her. "I can't go walking right now."

"Okay I'll ask Dad if he wants to go."

"Don't disturb your father. He's just as busy as I am at the moment."

"Fine I'll just go out on my own."

"No Wendy we don't know what's out there right now. They're could be a lot of holes, old traps, steep hills, no going outside by yourself until we make sure it's safe for you."

"So what am I supposed to do?"

"Read, watch a video, play with your toys, maybe clean up a bit, explore the house. I don't care just don't bother me or your father right now."

Wendy sighed but she left her mother alone to work in peace. Following her suggestion, Wendy decided to explore her new home. She didn't see anything exciting. The furniture, the walls, even the paintings looked dull and lifeless. A lot of the doors she found just led to a broom closet or water main.

"I wonder why everything is gloomy here." She thought to herself.

She was just about to go back to her new bedroom and read a book when she thought she heard something. She thought she heard voices and she thought she heard them coming from a behind the door that was in the way back of the hallway. Had that door been there before? How had she missed that door?

As she walked toward the door the whispering stopped. She grabbed on to the knob of the door and tried to open it but it was locked. She wondered where this door led to.

"So sweetie how was your exploration of the house?" Jellal asked her at dinner. "Did you see anything interesting?"

"Not really. Everything was so dull but I found a door that was locked."

"That was probably a part of the house that was closed off."

"Closed off? Does that mean no one lives there?"

"Yes."

"But I heard voices coming from that door. I think someone lives up there in the other apartment."

"No one lives up there." Erza said.

"But I know I heard voices."

"You were probably just imagining things. Big houses can play tricks on you."

"I didn't imagine them Mom. I actually heard them."

"It's not nice to make up stories."

"But Mom-"

"You've had a long day Wendy, with all the moving and unpacking. You're probably just tired. After dinner I want you to go to your room and try to relax okay?"

"Okay." Wendy said realizing that she wouldn't win the argument. So after dinner she went up to her bedroom. Much like everything else in the house, her room was dull, lifeless, and gloomy. This place was supposed to be her new home? Truth be told Wendy had never had one stable home in her entire life. She and her family had been moving from place to place, not giving her enough time to make long life friends.

"Things will be different this time." Her father had told her. "Your mother and I are both expecting promotions and with the extra pay we'll be able to pay the mortgage on this house."

She understood that her parents were trying to make things easier for her but to her nothing good seemed to becoming from this move. 

After checking to see that she had everything packed up and in a place, she changed out of her clothes and into her pajamas. She then went toward her bed only to find something sitting on it that wasn't there before. It was a little kitty cat doll. Where did this come from? Did her dad put it in her room? It wasn't uncommon for him to buy her a new toy or some type of treat when he noticed that she was upset but there was no price tag and she didn't recall seeing a doll like this in any of the stores. As she examined it more she noticed that it seemed to be sewn by hand. Was this doll sewn from scratch? How? And by who? Neither one of her parents could sew. 

"I need sleep."

She placed the doll on a nearby chair and decided to worry about it in the morning. Then she crawled into bed and drifted off to sleep but not before having the strangest feeling that she was being watched.