Chapter 4

Not sure what else to do, she opened up the handbook and started to read it.

"Step one." She read. "Find a new name for yourself. One cannot exist without an identity."

A new name. What name would suit her? At first she tried to remember what her old name was. She thought back to before she woke up as hard as she could but she just couldn't. No wait, she could remember something. It was a story, a story she had been told once. It was about a woman who made it rain whenever she cried, they called her Juvia the rain woman. Not exactly the memory she hoped to unlock but at least it gave her a name. Juvia. Her name was Juvia.

"Step 2." She read. "Try to fit in with the other deceased."

She wasn't quite sure what that meant. Did it mean that she should try to befriend the other ghosts and ghouls? She saw a lot of them walk by and she tried to talk to them but they just ignored her.

"Excuse me I...Hello?... I'm sorry to bother you but I...How rude."

"Get used to it. Almost everybody around here is like that." The one who had acknowledged her was a blonde ghoul dressed in a green corset with matching long green leggings and black high heel boots. Her skin had a few veins that could be seen and her blonde hair had rushes tied in it.

"You were talking to me right?" Juvia asked her.

"Yeah I was. So you're the new girl?"

"I guess so."

"I'm sorry about them, a lot of the deceased aren't polite. I guess they're just mad that they're dead."

"Is everyone here dead?"

"Pretty much. So have you picked out a name for yourself?"

"It's Juvia."

"I'm Lucy. Just Lucy. I remember when I had first risen. I couldn't find a friendly face anywhere."

"Do you remember how you died? Or who you were in life?"

"No. It's a miracle if anyone hear can remember what happened before death. But that aside have you found a house to live in?"

"My case worker said she was in the process of finding me one."

"Really? And does your case worker happen to be a brunette with a drinking problem?"

"Yes actually."

"Uh-huh, don't waste your time waiting for her. I wouldn't say she's unreliable but she tends to forget some of her clients."

"Oh..."

"Listen I've had my eye on one house in particular and I've put an add out for a room mate because I don't want to live alone. You seem to be normal as far as dead people go. Would you like to move in with me?"

"I don't know. I mean I guess I could take a look at the house. Where is it?"

"Just follow me."

The house Lucy had been looking into was a very old and very large manor that had several empty flats. It looked abandoned but livable. 

"So what do you think?" Lucy asked Juvia.

""It is nice but what about the other people who answered your add?"

"Don't worry, so far no one has answered the add and I don't think anyone will."

As if on cue there was a banging at the nearest door. 

"Is that someone who's alive or dead?" Juvia asked.

"Only one way to find out." Lucy said. "If it's a dead person they'll be able to see us."