03 | Hospital

***

***

Jen

It has been a year.

It's been a year ever since Hanbin and his grandmother found me by the beach. A year ever since I lost my memories.

The memories I intend to find hidden in my brain. Those memories will help me find my true family and help me get back home.

Hanbin and his grandmother have been so kind to me ever since the moment that I woke up from the hospital, they told me what happened and took me back to their home.

I don't even remember my family, that is why I'm very thankful for them when they took me in.

While Hanbin would go out to work so we could feed ourselves, I stay home to take care of his grandmother since she's in need of care all the time.

She's old and she can barely walk anymore. Granny also has something wrong with her lungs that makes it hard for her to breathe.

As I walked along the clean and beautiful shores with my slippers back on the dry sand, I took a deep breath as I felt the salty ocean air touch my skin. I don't know the reason why, but every single day, I always find myself coming back to the shores where I was found. Hoping that something might trigger my memories but still, I cannot remember just a single name.

The only memories that I can remember are small fragments of my past but even those do not seem to help me find my real family.

The splashing sounds of the waves against my feet echoed in my mind as I remember the very day I washed ashore but it's frustrating to know that I can't even remember what happened before that.

But I would always have a dream, the same dream every night for a whole year.

I was on a cliff and I was falling, falling down to the deep ocean and I could hear someone calling my name but I didn't know him nor did I see his face.

The doctor in the hospital told me that maybe that was what happened before I washed ashore. I probably got into an accident and someone may be looking for me and just didn't know where to look.

I still hold on to what the doctor told me, to give me hope that someone out there is looking for me and that I actually have a real family.

Seeing as the sun was about to set, I took my slippers and walked back to the house to see if dinner was ready.

With one more look at the shoreline, I opened the door and walked back in to see the table already set for dinner and granny already in her seat.

I closed the door behind me and she greeted me with a warm smile.

"Did you have a nice walk, dear?" She asked softly.

I nodded in response, "Yes granny, I hope you can join me next time."

She chuckled at what I said.

"You know I'm too old for as simple as a walk down the beach, Jen. But I'm sure to join you next time if I can so that I can finally stretch my legs."

I smiled, "I'll remember that."

After washing my hands, I walked back to the table to take a seat when I saw Hanbin walking in the kitchen with someone else.

"Yuna!" I smiled at her. "It's nice to see you again!"

The young woman who just walked in is Hanbin's best friend. I was introduced to her a few days later when I walked out of the hospital.

We're both good friends.

"Hi Jen!" She happily waved back to me.

Yuna walked over to me to give me a hug in which I gave one back in return.

"Sorry, I couldn't visit for a week because of school," She apologized. "I had to take my nursing exams so I needed to study."

"Oh, no worries!" I told her as we both sat down next to each other. "I hope you pass."

"Thank you," She smiled at me and finally greeted granny who was sitting right next to her.

3rd person

All four of them peacefully ate dinner and chatted with Yuna about her nursing exams. She's one of the lucky people in this small town that was given the opportunity to go study in the city.

Yuna really wants to become a nurse in the city and help her family get out of poverty like most people are in this small town.

Every time Yuna would visit them, she would sometimes bring her things over so she could study and Jen had been great help to her.

She never knew how much Jen knew about medicine, biology, chemistry, and anatomy.

***

"Jen, I think you might be a medicine student back then!" Yuna's eyes widened after the said woman just helped her with her anatomy project.

Jen smiled, "Maybe I was. Or I probably had a job in medicine or something."

"See! You're closer to remembering your memories than you think you are!"

***

While everyone was busy chatting and eating, the three didn't notice the obvious silence from Hanbin's grandmother since they had their own topics of conversation.

Their attention went back to the old woman when she placed down her utensils on the plate.

"Granny?" Habin called her. "Are you okay? Do you want more food on your plate? Are you full?"

The old woman didn't respond and merely stared back at his grandson with cold, piercing eyes before widening as she gasped for air.

Everyone stood up from their seats as the old woman began having a hard time breathing.

She clutched her chest tight as she kept trying to take a proper breath and everyone scattered around her to help her but to no avail.

"Quick!! We need to bring her to the hospital!!"