06 | Daughter

***

***

3rd person

"Jen?" Hanbin placed a hand on the young woman's shoulder who was too distracted staring at the end of the hallway.

Jen turned around and hummed, "Yes?"

"Let's go inside," Hanbin told her and they both walked inside Hanbin's grandmother's hospital room.

The two walked in the hospital room where Hanbin's grandmother is peacefully asleep on a hospital bed and the doctor standing right beside her while checking in on her vitals. He looked up and smiled at the two as Jen closed the door behind her.

The room was quiet and peaceful, overlooking the large garden right behind the hospital, a place that Jen has been meaning to visit. The room also has a warm and welcoming feeling because of the aesthetic color scheme.

White and beige.

She looked around with a pleased expression on her face. The room looked luxurious and expensive with just the aesthetic feel, simple and organized made Jen feel at home even though the home that she has been accustomed to for a year is far away.

Her gaze turned to the old woman on the bed who was sleeping peacefully with a beeping machine beside her bed and there are things attached to her body as well.

"She will wake later just in time for dinner," The doctor broke the silence.

"Mrs. Im will have to regain her strength through nutrition and some physical activities that the hospital provides while we find a doctor suitable enough to perform her surgery."

He turned to the big window overlooking the beautiful garden, "The garden is open to everyone and I encourage you to bring Mrs. Im to the garden from time to time when she wakes up to breathe some fresh air and get a bit of walking done."

Hanbin and Jen nodded at the doctors instructions.

The said doctor was looking down a bunch of things written down on his clipboard, "While the hospital will provide all of the patient's needs through the charity program, from food to the much needed surgery, but I'm afraid this will not apply to her visitors."

Jen glanced a bit to Hanbin knowing exactly what he is thinking right now.

The young boy nodded, "We understand, I'll find a part-time job near the hospital and my friend can keep an eye on her."

"Very well," The doctor replied. "Now that that is settled, I will leave the both of you alone because I have other patients to visit."

Jen smiled and bowed slightly, "Thank you, doctor."

The doctor smiled back and was about to make his way to the door past Jen and Hanbin when he paused and looked back at her, confusing and surprising the young girl.

"I'm sorry but you look oddly familiar to someone I knew," He said.

Jen's eyes widened at this, "Really? Where?"

"I can't quite place it because it has also been a long time since I saw her," He replied. "You look very much alike with Doctor Kim's daughter but she had already left the hospital only days after I started working here."

The young girl got her hopes up with the chance of finding out her real identity and someone has finally recognized her after a year of having nothing but vague and confusing memories that keeps popping up in her head.

The doctor said his final goodbyes and finally left the room, leaving Jen in disappointment that even the doctor couldn't remember her even though she may have looked familiar.

Hanbin glanced at the young girl who still had her eyes on the door and sighed. He tucked his grandmother in with the blanket and walked over to her.

"Jen?" He asked and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure we'll find your real family soon, after all, we're in the city, there's a higher chance that we could get help here rather than stay and wait for nothing back in town."

The girl looked back at him with a forced smile, "I'm okay, at least now we have a chance to help granny, we just need to find a doctor."

After Jen and Hanbin had settled in nicely in his grandmother's hospital room which has a folding sofa for the two of them to sleep in, there's also a large cabinet for their things since they brought a lot because they don't know how long they will have to stay there.

"I'll find a job first thing tomorrow," Hanbin said, sitting down on the couch. "Then, you can stay back here and take care of granny."

Jen nodded, "I will do just that."

She was folding their clothes and placing them in the cabinet when her eyes glanced back to the bright open window and had an idea.

"Hey, how about we go check out the garden?" She asked and Hanbin looked a bit hesitant with that idea but he supposed that they need a little breather after hours of travelling.

He nodded and they finally walked out of the room.

On the way to the said garden, Jen couldn't help but feel so at home in the hospital. She believed that it was just because of the colors back in the hospital room but even while they are walking through the white hallway, she can feel the same warmth.

"It's beautiful," Hanbin spoke as they arrived by the exit of the hospital to where the garden was.

Jen hummed and nodded in response as the cold fresh breeze touched her skin and her hair flew mid-air. They can see that the whole place was really kept and maintained.

"Shall we?"

The two began walking around the large piece of land which showed only nature added with some fountains here and there, also a few benches and tables where people and patients alike can sit down and admire the view.

"Thank you, Jen."

The said young woman glanced at the person beside her with a confused expression on her face, "What for?"

Hanbin shrugged, "For everything. You have been helping me with granny even though we may be simple strangers who found you washed up by the shore.

She giggled, "That's the thing! I should be the one thanking you for helping me and taking me in your home even though I am just a stranger, helping you with granny is the least I could do compared to everything that the two of you had done for me."

The two smiled at each other and no one dared to break the comfortable silence between them when a voice called out from the distance.

"Doctor Kim?"