Twenty Three | Tamales and Tacos

"River get a bag and yank some of those peaches out from the tree." My mom yelled to me. And I bet everyone in the whole neighborhood also heard.

She was located standing on the back door steps and was shouting at the top of her to a person who was only two feet away. Me, I was the person who was only two feet away from her. I had my headphones in but Jesus, she must of thought when I had these things in I was deaf in both ears because here she was shouting like some mad man.

"Okay mom." My voice had an itch of annoyance to it. I think my ear drums blew.

But before I could even take another step in that direction, she rattled off another demand. "Also spray down the others that aren't quite ready to get picked so they get hydrated."

My previous response repeated. "Okay mom."

Her parting words were, "Thanks sweetie." Then I heard the back door slam.

I didn't know how they were going to go on without me. Well, how my mom was going to go on without me. My dad has been getting better these past weeks. His arm no longer in pain and was almost back to regular. Our schedules have been working fine, dad was contributing too with easy stuff, and that meant my time here was running up. I was both happy and sad about it. Sad because being here these weeks helped me one again take in account that I was really grateful for this family. But on the other hand, I was happy because I could have my privacy back. Everything I do here is out in the open. Well I was staying on the couch, but even when they weren't down here or if they were asleep, I still felt that something was watching me. Felt that the fireplace was watching me. TV was watching me. The damn chairs could hear what I was saying, doing. I don't know. . .I just didn't feel like I had any privacy. Bathroom was the only exception because at least I could lock the door.

Basically, it was a bittersweet thing.

Why was I acting so damn dramatic? Like I was abut to be shipped away to some boarding school for whores who got hot for their teacher and could never see my parents again?

I was acting like I was never going to see them again. When in reality, I came to their house at least once a week. That wouldn't change anytime soon because I only had a limited amount of friends. And yes they were apart of the main group.

Anyways, the time at my parent's house was coming to an end. And if I were to think about it- a lot of things were coming to an end. My school for one of them. Graduation was coming up, right around the corner. I was going to get a culinary arts degree. Crazy right? I was going to be able to do what I love for the rest of my life and I couldn't believe it. I needed to start practicing my graduation walk. I needed to find the right shoes - Oh fuck. When was I going to go shopping for a dress? Shit I needed-

"River stop standing there and pick the damn peaches." My mother's voice was heard again, reminding me of what I needed to do.

"Oh, sorry." I placed the bag in my hand and walked my way over to the prune peach tree.

Now at the peach tree, something about it had me thinking. It reminded me of that flower game. The he loves me or he loves me not game with the flower petals. Maybe I should play? The Vance likes me or not game. It was kind-of pathetic but fuck it, I was out here picking peaches. . .I needed something to think about to pass the time. I could listen to music though. . .I clicked on my phones screen once, twice and nope- it was dead. The only thing that would flash on the screen was the red low battery sign. Well damn, now the only thing I could do was play the game.

I followed through and reached my hand up to the first peach, then I plucked. Vance does not like me. I plucked again. Vance does like me. Plucked again. Vance does not like me. Repeated. Vance does like me. Again. Again. Again. And again. The ending result was Vance does like me.