Thirty Two | Cotten candy

God was playing a game with me. It was like one of those, guess who's behind the door? games. He was playing the, guess which man was going to walk through the bakery and interrupt a very important conversation? game. I had three doors, with three constants. Behind door one I thought Vance because God always had of way of surprising me, when it came to that man. Behind door two I thought James, because fuck my luck was bad. And for door three I thought Daniel Kaluuya. And shit. . .I don't know. Did celebrities even go to bakeries?

Anyways, I was kinda right.

Constants one and two were out the game. It wasn't Vance or James that had walked through the door of the bakery. It was Daniel, the one hour late motherfucker, cheater, husband of Vanessa had walked through.

But see I was kinda right. I got the first names correct. But I wasn't quite happy that the broker, untalented, less very less cuter version of the Daniels decided to walk through that door.

Vanessa thought the same because the words "What are you doing here, Daniel?", came out with a tint of displeased riding on them.

Vanessa had asked the question as she was getting up from the table. It took her, not many steps, to landed in front of the man. Her hands landed on her hips as she looked up, into the eyes of her ex-husband. Oh did I mention to say ex before? They are going through a divorce right now. And damn, I knew her mental health was probably screwed all over the place. All the things she had to take care of - papers, jobs, her kid.

Her kid who looked freakishly comfortable right now.

Xavier was standing next to Daniel with a bag on cotton candy in his hands. And when I say that he looked comfortable, I meant that he didn't looked phased. His eyes were not widen as his parents were exchanging fiery looks between each other. His eyes were actually trained on me.

Should I smile? Was this an awkward time to smile? Did Ellen Degeneres' breath stink?

Once again, all questions were answered with a single: yes. But I smiled anyway to the kid. Maybe it will keep him distracted and the attention away from his parents, which who looked like they were about to kill each other.

Spoke too soon because his eyes had advanced back up as his mother bit out another comment. "What did I say about giving him sweets after a certain time? I'm the one that has to put him to bed, so it's going to take me twice as long to do it now."

Was the correct response to Vanessa's statement, a shrug of one's shoulders? Hell no, but that's what Daniel did anyway.

"Really?" Vanessa said, not really shocked. "Whatever. What are you doing here anyway?"

I heard some plastic rip open. My eyes advanced down as I watched Xavier use his tiny little hands to rip open the bag of cotton candy, then he inserted some of the cloudy goodness in his mouth. Would it be bad if I asked for a piece? Was it noticeable that I wanted a piece of the goodness? Was I drooling? Did no one else hear the bag open?

Nope. And I had forgotten that I was in the middle of a war. Team Vanessa for the win.

"I came to drop off the kid." Was his smooth reply. His voice was freakishly calm, for whatever reason. "My keys to the house didn't work, on any of the doors. Did you change the locks?"

"I wanted you to drop him off at my dad's place on the days that you picking him up, for this exact reason. You don't need to come by the house anymore. There's nothing at the house for you anymore."

"Yeah, it was pretty fucking clear when you threw all my clothes out and told me to go fuck myself."

Should I cover the kid's ear? I got up from my chair to do the action but then stopped myself. It seemed like this was a normal thing because the kid hadn't even as so flinched as the f-word came out. Damn, this kid was getting exposed to a lot of grown-up shit at such a young age. Maybe I should lead him away from the chaos, of his parents, for little?