thirty-five | the graduation party

The following night, Freya stood with the imprints, Sam and Shelley as the moon started to peek through the clouds

The following night, Freya stood with the imprints, Sam and Shelley as the moon started to peek through the clouds. All three mermaids stood facing each other, forming a triangle, but their attention was focused on Shelley. Freya could feel Jacob's gaze burning into her; the boy knowing that this was the final straw for Freya (that Jacob knew of).

"Since there's three of you this time," said Shelley. "I think it'll work best without me."

"What'll happen?" Elodie questioned. "Will the moon actually talk or is it the man on the moon?"

"It'll show you things," Shelley explained. "Last time, the moon showed us Riley."

"Okay, cool," Elodie tried to contain her laughter. "Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?"

"We need to do it, Elle," Alison reminded the blonde.

"Oh, I know," Elodie peeked a gaze at Freya. "Let's do this."

Following those words, Shelley instructed the three to hold hands, enclosing the space between them. Freya caught Alison's gaze, where her best friend offered her an optimistic smile. Surely this would work, right?

Then, the three mermaids glanced up to the moon as their eyelids fell shut. Freya's face softened, the crinkles of her eyelids smoothing. For a split second, Freya felt truly free of the pressure she had been feeling, but, soon following was a piercing sound that was accompanied by a blinding darkness. Freya screamed, not expecting the sheer pain as her hands let go of Alison and Elodie's before she collapsed.

"Freya!" Voices echoed around her.

Freya groaned, the pain leaving as quickly as it had occurred.

"Freya," Jacob's panicked voice appeared, hands gently shaking Freya. She opened her eyes, clutching at her head. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"I don't know," said Freya, confused. "Everything was fine and then there was a sharp noise, followed by darkness."

Jacob's lips pressed tightly together as he offered Freya his hand, helping the teenage girl stand. He didn't leave her side, not as his arm wrapped protectively around her.

"Did you girls experience that?" Shelley questioned, worriedly.

"No," they both answered.

"Okay," said Shelley, not looking at Freya. "I guess I'll do it instead."

"Wait, why can't Freya?" Jacob questioned, confused, but Freya already knew. A lump had formed in her throat that had become hard to swallow, but she refused to cry.

Shelley's gaze fell on the brunette girl. "You know, don't you?"

"The moon rejected me," Freya mumbled; trembling hands gripped onto Jacob's arm tightly. "I don't think the spirits like me anymore."