forty-six | one innocent soul

It had taken Freya a few days to find the courage to visit her brother's grave — Riley's now too

It had taken Freya a few days to find the courage to visit her brother's grave — Riley's now too. The summer sun shone through the gaps of clouds, lighting up the graveyard with the bouquets of flowers blooming under the rare spotlight. Like usual, Noah's grave was busy with love: full of flowers and ruined pictures from the rain that Nancy had likely drawn for him. It was strange to think that it had been two years without him now.

New grass broke through from where the grave had been dug with Riley's ashes being buried with the boy, which had been covered with flowers. Freya's heart broke to think that his family lived close by without a clue that their son rested in the graveyard close by and with his murderer visiting.

"You didn't kill him, Freya," her mother's voice appeared in her mind from what she had told her daughter that morning. "You saw past what he had become and wanted to help. It's not your fault the siren did what she did. You're a victim just like Riley was and now he's at peace."

But was he? Who was to say that Riley wasn't a vengeful fury seeking to end Freya for cutting his life so soon? She had failed to save Noah two years ago and now she was responsible for Riley's death too — and that was just a handful of her sins.

In the few days since Freya had returned, her life had been a whirlwind with arrangements being made. The first night was spent at home with a guest room set up for Jacob (because, of course, Freya couldn't stay sane without him now) and in the morning, Nancy was confused that resulted in the child having an attitude. Then, the second night was spent with Freya sleeping in Jacob's bed with the boy on the sofa so that he could be home for his father. Fortunately, Rachel was home to help with Billy but Jacob needed his father without Freya constantly hovering. It was awkward; how could they process what they felt when they were forced to be together?

Rachel hadn't made things easier, too. The young girl had hugged Freya upon seeing her, gushing about how much Freya had grown up from a shy, small girl and how delighted she was that they were together. At that, her smile had evaporated, sensing something wasn't right.

"What?" Rachel had said, glancing between her father and brother. Jacob, fortunately, looked a lot better than he did at the wedding; he had shaved and had found a chance to shower. "Dad told me you had gone to California with Freya for the summer? Or am I missing something?"

"No, you're not," Jacob said, avoiding her gaze.

"Leave them be," suggested Billy, trying to lighten the situation. "Rachel, you better get going if you're meeting Leah."

"Oh, yeah!" Rachel brightened, remembering. "I'm finally meeting her girlfriend. Leah won't stop talking about her. Do you guys know her?"

"Alison," Freya's voice felt tiny at the mention of her best friend, who still wouldn't talk to her. "She's my best friend."

Rachel's eyes had widened at that before inviting the two to join, but they had declined to spend time with Billy. It wouldn't do Alison any good if Freya turned up nor would it help them keep Rachel away from their crazy world. Already, the Black's weren't particularly happy with Rachel being home since there was the chance of Rachel becoming a mermaid.