fifty-two | miracles happen

There was a frantic blur of motion: Bella was taken to the already set up delivery room with Derek taking over, shouting about how the placenta was dethatched and that they had to be quick

"Someone give Bella the morphine," snapped Derek as Freya helped him put on the hospital gown so that his hands remained sterile. Unlike the supernatural, Derek posed a risk to the still human Bella. The doctor was in motion, cleaning his hands thoroughly while his eyes never left Bella. "Alice, where is Carlisle?"

"Rosalie," Edward instructed since she was closest to the morphine.

"He's coming," Alice answered, panicked. The blonde picked up the morphine, stabbing Bella in the leg as she let out a grunt of pain. "He's coming as fast as he can, but..."

Freya had moved, taking Bella's hand in an offer of support, where she wasn't sure what else she could do. Her eyes followed her father, seeing him feel Bella's stomach as he looked a little lost on what to do — half-breed children weren't exactly his speciality, let alone delivering babies.

He was here for his niece and now her life was in his hands, but he had them. Medically, they weren't as knowledgeable as Derek or Carlisle, but they had other qualities that they could use. If needed, Freya could heal Bella.

"We'll have to do it," said Rosalie.

"You're not doing anything," Derek ordered.

Rosalie, however, picked up the scalpel.

"Rose!" Edward caught his sister's hand.

"You can't be serious," Freya hissed.

"Let the morphine spread," Edward told her.

"There's no time," Rosalie panicked. "He's dying."

"It's true," Derek had paled. "We don't have time, Edward."

"Get him out now!"

Horrified, Freya's eyes fell on her cousin, becoming aware of the pain she would be in without the morphine working. If only... then she realised as her eyes met Edward, seeking permission, where he simply nodded his head in approval.

"Bella," said Freya, catching her cousin's attention. "Look at me."

Edward retracted his hold from Rosalie.

"You can't feel anything," Freya compelled her cousin as Bella listened, becoming mute as the blade slid into her skin as easy as butter. "You've got this, Bella, okay?"

Without the compel, Bella would have been screaming, blinded by the sudden pain. However, now, she only appeared numb, not feeling a pinprick, but her body was aware of the trauma being done to it. It was unnerving, but Freya believed she had done the right thing.

But everything became quiet as Freya's head turned away from her cousin, seeing Rosalie starring at the crimson blood with hunger clouding her judgement.