forty | puppet & master

Pain erupted inside Freya's skin from the sharpness of Victoria's teeth, which then followed with a burning sensation, setting the girl on fire

Pain erupted inside Freya's skin from the sharpness of Victoria's teeth, which then followed with a burning sensation, setting the girl on fire. The pain was unbearable as Freya's knees buckled with a piercing scream. Victoria doesn't catch her; she let Freya fall, tumbling to the ground.

Freya clutched at her head, aware of the burning sensation tangling with every nerve inside her brain. But, Victoria's voice filtered through as if she's talking — the two minds linking up like an elastic band snapping into place. The pain eventually faded as quickly as it came, leaving it as nothing more than a buzz at the back of Freya's mind.

Then, she realised that Freya was not the only one screaming. Elodie was holding Alison back, who was shrieking, terrified at the thought of losing her best friend. But her cries quietened as Freya stood, finding herself pale and sweaty from the ordeal.

Victoria laughed. "Freya," she called as Freya turned to the vampire. "If anyone signals anyone or tries to hurt me, you will kill yourself. Understood?"

"Yes," Freya said, instantly.

"You bitch!" Elodie hissed, realising.

Victoria simply smirked, triumph in her victory. But Freya realised that Victoria's greed hadn't ended there — the vampire still desired her revenge and another mermaid. If James was here, he would be proud.

"I will kill you for this," Alison promised, truly meaning it.

It was Freya's turn to laugh this time. "Calm down, Alison. Your siren side might show." The girl paled, clutching at her arms that made Freya's smile widen. "So, you did trigger the siren powers."

"I didn't mean to," Alison argued, looking at Freya as if she didn't recognise the girl. "I thought I lost you."

"You could always join us," Freya offered, knowing Victoria wanted Alison even more now.

Elodie's grip tightened on Alison as if afraid she'd lose someone else she had come to consider a friend. It was Victoria, however, who spoke: "Freya, I want you—"

"This is between you and I, Victoria," Edward cut in, silencing whatever the command was. "Leave Freya out of this." Victoria paused, eyeing Edward warily as the vampire stepped forward. "You want Bella. You want me to feel the pain you felt when I killed James. When I tore him into pieces. When I turned him into ash."

Victoria's blood-red eyes slid to Bella, recalling the main purpose of creating the newborn army. Her body now trembled, mind whirling with the possibilities to get everything she wanted. "Freya, restrain Edward so he can watch Bella die. You may harm Edward, but I want to kill him."

Freya smirked at the vampire boy. "I've been waiting a while for this."

Edward, however, looked terrified. Either way, Freya blocked them from taking down Victoria — to win, Freya had to die in both scenarios.