thirty-six | mermaid vs vampire

The party spirit had disappeared and was replaced with a sombre atmosphere

The party spirit had disappeared and was replaced with a sombre atmosphere. Both Freya and Alison were exhausted as they waited for the pack to assemble at Emily's place. Jacob and Leah were determined to talk them out of their decision, but they refused to talk about it until Elodie arrived.

"The two of you need to wait," Emily eventually instructed Jacob and Leah, exasperated with them. She still wore her pyjamas with a jumper thrown over, where the commotion had dragged the poor girl from bed. "Yes, it's concerning, but Sam is not back yet with Paul, Jared and Elodie and this is a discussion that includes everyone's input."

"I'm talking about this," said Leah. "With Alison, Freya and Jacob."

"It's not fair to talk about this without Elodie," Freya told them. "Alison and I will be fighting, but we won't make that decision for Elodie."

"No one needs to fight, though," Leah argued.

Alison sighed. "But you're fighting, Leah... how can I let you do that for me while I stay out of it?"

"If Freya and Alison are fighting, then so am I," Seth claimed for the thousandth time that night.

"Seth, you're not part of this," Leah told her brother. "Neither are the mermaids. If anything, the four of you should be leaving Washington and going into hiding."

Freya's eyes fell on Jacob as both Alison and Seth protested. He had become silent, sat at the table with his head in his hands. Embry, however, caught Freya's attention before she could even move towards Jacob.

"Hazel is safe in San Francisco still, right?" Embry questioned, tensely.

Quil quickly faced his friend. "Of course she is, Em. It's probably the best place for her to be right now. No one knows she's apart of all this."

"Jacob..." Freya moved from where she sat on the sofa as her hand fell on his shoulder. "It'll be okay, you know."

"How can it be?" He refused to look at her. "You're asking me to willingly let you risk your life."

"I'm not asking you, Jake," Freya told him softly. "I'm fighting."

"How will you fight?" Jacob demanded.

Freya flinched, hand recoiling from him. "I... I can compel Victoria to stop."

"She'll see that coming," said Jacob.

"I can use my powers," Freya suggested. "Our powers somewhat worked against Victoria last time."

"That was one vampire, Freya," he dropped his hand, turning to face Freya with a scowl. "How can you fight an army?"

"I can't stay out of it, Jacob," she told him, knowing she wasn't the strongest against vampires, but Freya had powers, unlike the other two mermaids. "Use me as bait to get to Victoria. I'll train, okay? Jasper's worked with mermaids before--"