sixty | the last night

There was an ominous feeling that hung heavy on everyone

There was an ominous feeling that hung heavy on everyone. Freya knew the end to her own story, but it was an end that only Edward could hear.

Though, they tried to carry on as normal. The new normal included the build-up to Christmas while ignoring the time that was slipping before their doomsday. Freya spent as much time training along with the mermaids as she did clinging to the small moments.

At the back of Bella's car, Freya currently sat with Renesmee while Jacob was at the front with Bella driving. They were heading to Charlie's for the day, where the rest of Freya's family were to join.

"I'm surprised you took a break from Jedi training," Jacob told Bella.

"If I don't take Renesmee to my dad, he'll come to us," Bella reminded him. "Twenty-seven vampires, one human. Not so great."

"I know that's what you told Edward," Jacob quietly accused, though Renesmee's ears picked up everything. "Whatever, I'm just glad that it's giving Freya a break."

"I don't need a break," Freya argued.

"You do," Bella agreed. "Edward always has a headache around you."

Freya smiled at that. "That's because it's me."

They eventually pulled up at Charlie's house, where Freya's uncle hurried outside with his girlfriend Sue Clearwater following. At the doorway, Freya's own parents stood, keeping a hand on Nancy's head, who was still unsure of Renesmee.

Renesmee was first out of the car as she ran into her grandpa's arms.

"There she is," said Charlie. "Come here."

Charlie picked her up with a groan, holding onto his granddaughter tightly.

"Wow! Look at you!" Charlie put her down as Freya followed up towards the house. "You've grown half a foot! Seriously? Like six inches."

Sue patted Charlie on the back, trying to hide her grimace. Everyone tried to ignore the comments with Freya feeling for poor Charlie, who only knew half of the truth.

"Come on inside," Sue told them. "Lunch is on the table."

"We got a tree to decorate, huh?" Charlie suggested to Renesmee. "Nancy's come over to help too, right, Nance?"

Freya's little sister nodded, eyes stuck on Renesmee, who offered a friendly smile.

"I've actually got a few errands to run, guys," Bella confessed with Freya looking back at her, finding it suspicious. "I'll be back soon, okay?"

Both Freya and Jacob exchanged a look at that.

"Come on," Charlie encouraged. "Let's go."

There was no chance to question anything as the two followed Charlie, Sue, and Renesmee into the house. First, the family had lunch together as they caught up, where the majority ignored the fight that was upcoming (or the fact that Freya could very easily be snatched from them again). Then, secondly, there was the focus on the tree with Nancy coming out of her shell, suggesting that they covered the tree in glitter, which had made Renesmee laugh.