thirty-seven | final preparations

Only a handful of days stood between Freya and what she hoped was the downfall of Victoria

Only a handful of days stood between Freya and what she hoped was the downfall of Victoria. Currently, though, her biggest concern was getting her family out of town before the fight took place. If things went sour, then the Swan family needed to be far away.

"Freya, honey, can I talk to you?" Natalie Swan called after her daughter before the Swan girl could even leave the house for her last day of sophomore year (she wasn't going, but her parents didn't need to know that).

"Sure," Freya said before heading to the kitchen, hoping it wasn't about the washing up. "You okay, Mom?"

"I wanted to talk to you," Natalie said, packing Nancy's lunch box for the day. "About your father and I going away for a few nights."

"Isn't Nancy going, too?" Freya pressed, knowing the plan was a long weekend trip away. The battle would sit in the middle of their weekend trip, giving the pack either side to prepare themselves or take whatever actions were necessary if things went wrong. "I heard Charlie and Billy were rather excited. Sue, too, who invited Shelley — Elodie's aunt."

"Your manager from work?" Natalie questioned and Freya nodded her head. "Yes, it sounds a rather spontaneous weekend and I'm surprised your father and Charlie managed to get it off work. Charlie needs a break, though, since he's stressing about Seattle too much."

"It'll be fun," Freya agreed, smiling.

Natalie closed the lunchbox, turning to Freya with a hopeful glance. "I don't think it'll be Nancy's thing, Freya. Remember when Derek took you fishing?"

Freya frowned at the memory, recalling how she had ended up in the lake and then spent the rest of the trip miserable as everyone had laughed at her. "They'll be other things, too," Freya pressed gently, needing Nancy to go with them. "Sue told me she had a shopping trip planned."

"Freya," Natalie smiled. "I'd feel better about leaving you behind if Nancy is here, too. Would you be up for looking after her this weekend? Jacob is more than happy to help, but... your father and I aren't comfortable leaving you home alone."

Freya's cheeks flushed a vibrant red. "Jacob and I won't be do anything."

"I trust you," Natalie said. "But I think Nancy would prefer staying here. She'll only end up bored, especially since she'll be the only child. Would watching her be okay?"

"I..." Freya didn't know what to say. Any other time, she'd be more than happy to babysit while her parents got out of town for a bit. She had done it before but looking after Nancy meant her little sister would be in harm's way. "I was going to stay with Emily over the weekend. Nancy can come but I'm working since Shelley is away."

She wasn't working, but Natalie Swan needed to hear that her daughter was doing normal things with her summer holiday. Shelley had fortunately managed to get cover for the weekend since she had taken on a few members of new staff.