six | the full moon

Outside the world had turned dark by the time Freya and her manager closed the cafe

Outside the world had turned dark by the time Freya and her manager closed the cafe. Freya chewed on her bottom lip until it bled, the rising moon making her uneasy as she cleaned quickly in hope to get to Alison's in time. Her friend was going to kill her for risking it, even though Alison still believed the moon was simply just the moon.

"Everything alright, Dear?" Her manager questioned, mop in her hand as she watched her employee work.

"Everything's splendid," she smiled, placing the long gloves on ready to empty the dishwasher as Shelley, her manager, shook her head.

"Why you both suddenly worried about germs?" She asked for the hundredth time within the last few months. "Don't tell me it has to do with a boy, hmm?"

Freya's cheeks flared. "A-a boy?"

"Uh, huh!" The woman grinned. "That's why you're rushing! Eager to get out and see him!"

"No, Shelley, I'm staying over Alison's tonight," she explained. "We're doing a study on the full moon so I have to be at hers before it comes out."

"The moon?" She questioned with her eyebrows raising. "It's a full moon tonight that can be a dangerous time."

Freya looked up at her manager, but the woman had turned her back on the girl as she continued to mop. "What do you mean?"

"The wolves don't like the moon," she kept her back to Freya. "Only the dead like the moon."

Freya's eyebrows drew together, moving to open the dishwasher and start drying the last of the cutlery and mugs. The way her manager spoke sent a chill down her spine as if hinting that she and Alison weren't the only ones.

"You believe in the supernatural?" She questioned lightly after a moment.

Her manager turned to face her employee. "Do you, Freya?"

Freya shook her head, turning back to the work at hand.

Half an hour later, the duo was leaving the centre with the manager of the building locking the door behind them, marking the end of their shift. Freya walked with Shelley to her car, who insisted on dropping her off at Alison's to Freya's relief. She might just make it back in time.

"Perhaps we should hurry before the moon is out," her manager suggested, glancing at the sky before a smile beamed on her face as she turned back to Freya. "Wouldn't want you to miss that project."

Though the moon had come out, revealing itself from the clouds as it lit up the dark night. The reflection of it bounced off Shelly's car, blinding Freya that made her fall still. Her eyes widened, searching for the source as her brown eyes fell onto the white orb.

"Freya?" Her manager questioned.

She turned to her manager, tilting her head slightly to her name, but she didn't blink. The woman sighed, knowing there was nothing she could do as Freya ran, heading straight for the woods. The ocean called for her.