sixteen | cold water

Things didn't wrap up until a couple of hours later once a plan had been formalised in regards to Victoria

Things didn't wrap up until a couple of hours later once a plan had been formalised in regards to Victoria. Their first priority was Bella's safety that meant more patrols and Bella spending time with the two mermaids in La Push until they could kill the vampire. For the girls, the pack would protect them but because Laurent was dead, the chances of Victoria knowing about the two of them were slim.

They were due to start their training once the link between the two species had set. Both Freya and Alison were due to have an upgrade, where they'd likely gain strength and speed. Sue had told the two that they would also be able to heal quickly like the shape-shifters.

When everyone had left to head home or for patrol, the two girls had approached the elders with Freya showing them the letter she had received. Billy passed it between the four of them to read.

"I know who sent this," Billy informed them. "I can't tell you who, but I can reach out to her to say you girls are ready to meet her. You have to understand that mermaids are sacred - you're so rare that those who had the blessing of the moon either went into hiding or gave up their tail."

"You know mermaids, dad?" Jacob asked, staring at his dad in disbelief.

"I did, son, but now isn't the time for that conversation," he told him, eyes shining with what Freya suspected was grief. Had Billy lost someone close to him that had been linked to mermaids? "It's not my story to share."

"Hopefully this mermaid is willing to provide more information for you girls," Old Quil spoke up. "Our knowledge about you girls is limited. While our two kinds have stood together, the mermaids had their secrets and we kept what secrets they told us. Nothing is recorded in our tribal history books. We feared if we had evidence of your kind associated with our pack, then both the pack and yourselves would be in further danger."

"So how did you know the story?" Alison asked. "And that our kinds are linked?"

"Stories are passed on from generation to generation," Old Quil answered. "Only when the first wolf phases, is the story of the mermaids told. Otherwise, it'll just stay between the elders."

Jacob glanced between the three elders. "What about the full moon?"

"The full moon will be a challenge," Billy passed the letter back to Freya, seeming to debate what he could and couldn't say. The two girls wondered how much more Billy was keeping from them. "What I know is that a wolf who has imprinted is immune to the influence of the mermaid. In your case, Jacob, you are immune to Alison, but vulnerable to Freya."

"So if it gets worse I can't hurt Jared and Sam, but I can hurt Jacob?"

Billy nodded, "the way to protect you both is to separate you. Jacob would help Alison and Sam and Jared can help you, Freya. The trouble is the full moon gets worse each time for you girls, and with Jacob imprinting, the curse affects you more, Freya."