twenty-five | whispers and messages

The sun was threatening to peek through the grey clouds above

The sun was threatening to peek through the grey clouds above. Freya stared up at it as her body floated in the cave pool, wondering if the sun would strip away her mermaid abilities like the moon had blessed them in the first place. Of course, there was no magic, and Freya was left to sulk.

She was still struggling to wrap her mind around the idea of Noah and Riley, and it wasn't because of her brother's sexuality (she didn't care), but it was because she didn't know. They had been close with the two never clashing but he had still kept it a secret from her. But she was so happy for him to have had something so pure like despite how short it was.

Freya. Freya. Freya. Freya.

Yet, she wasn't allowed to just grieve her brother. There had to always be the supernatural that crept up on her, threatening not just herself but everyone she loved. Freya didn't know Riley, but she wondered if it was her fault to the dark path he was now on. It was a path Freya was all too familiar with.

He's dead. Riley's dead because of you. Just like Noah.

She stilled at the intrusive thought. It was her fault and because of that everyone treated her like a bomb waiting to go off. While she understood and appreciated their concern, sometimes it was like she couldn't even be upset without people walking on eggshells around her. Though, what did she expect with the list of bad stuff going on in Freya's life getting longer each day?

They should be scared of you.

Whispers were tingling in her ear as she thought about it all. Round and round they went; repeating themselves as they consumed her. Freya questioned whether it was herself or the spirits whispering. It was getting harder to block them out.

The water calmed her mind as she sighed, closing her eyes from the world. She felt herself bob along the water with her tail swishing, keeping her upwards. If she was in her human form, then she would be floating like a star, but she couldn't with her tail.

A sound caught her attention, where Freya turned towards the opening of the cave. Both Alison and Elodie's head appeared from the murky water. They offered her a small smile in greeting that she didn't return.

"Freya, are you okay?" Alison spoke first. "I know it must have been a surprise finding out about Noah."

"It's not all bad," Elodie tried. "It brings me peace to know my parents were in love when they died."

"Riley and Noah aren't together, though," Freya reminded Elodie. "Noah's dead and Riley is pretty much worse than dead because of my family."

Because of you. Or is it Bella's fault?

Alison frowned, knowing what exactly Freya was thinking. "It's no one's fault but Victoria's."

"It might as well be my fault," Freya turned from them. "Riley might have been a coincidence to start with but Victoria will use him to her advantage now. How long until someone else is targeted? Like Nancy? Or your sisters, Alison? Or Shelley?"