twenty-six | old enemies

Freya was stuck in the middle; torn between two souls that she felt responsible for

Freya was stuck in the middle; torn between two souls that she felt responsible for. Noah, on her right, was shouting at her for letting him drown. Then, on her left, was Riley, who was also blaming her for his new cold life.

"I didn't do anything," she whispered.

"You let me drown."

"You ruined my life."

Her eyes widened, shaking her head as she moved backwards from them both. The darkness of the woods that surrounded them were easier to deal with than the couple. Freya turned, running away, but they followed her laughing and taunting at her.

"Who's next, Freya?" Noah demanded.

"Or will you be next?" Riley appeared in front of her, frightening Freya, as she fell backwards, falling to the ground as her bottom cushioned her fall. The vampire boy was grinning; eyes a bloodshot red. "Face the darkness, Freya, or face me."

"No," she repeatedly shook her head. "Please stop."

He didn't listen as he pounced on top of her like she was his prey. A hand wrapped around her neck, pinning Freya to the floor as her scream was silenced. Noah stood behind Riley as their eyes connected. Freya found herself pleading for her life, but all Noah could do was smile as if he enjoyed seeing her struggle.

"You deserve this," Noah told her.

Then Riley's teeth sunk into Freya's neck, which followed with a piercing cry.

A hand cupped her cheek, awaking Freya as she jumped, scurrying away. Freya's chest was panting; wild eyes meeting with Jacob Black's. Tears burst from the corners of her eyes as she buried her head in her hands, becoming aware of her sweaty, delirious self.

"Hey," he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to his chest as he placed a loving kissing on the top of her forehead. "It was just a nightmare. I've got you, Freya — you're safe."

"I thought they had stopped," her voice wobbled from the tears.

"I thought so too," Jacob sighed, pulling the covers back over them both, but Freya found herself too hot. Around them, the room glowed from where Freya had her bedside lamp on throughout the night. The darkness now terrified her. "Is there anything I can do?"

Freya shook her head, burying her head into the crook of his neck despite the temperature. He held her, knowing that playing with the strands of her hair or trailing fingers gently along her back soothed Freya. Jacob hoped that she'd drift into a peaceful sleep by his touch, but knew now that she wouldn't entertain trying again.

"Do you think," he thought out loud, "it's the stress of Victoria coming back?"

"Don't try talking me out of it again, Jake."