27. Blood

Heeyeon POV

"You know my dear Heeyeon, I've heard a popular phrase amongst you mortals is that blood runs thicker than water."

In today's episode of shitty dream time, I felt myself almost being an outsider for the first time. I could only watch what was happening. As if an invisible barrier stood between what was going on and my body.

I saw my mother and brother appear beyond the black void, standing rather close to each other in fear.

That was when he approached them.

"Why even put up with a woman who can barely take care of herself? And that brother of yours, a mistake that can easily be erased. So, does the blood run thicker than water when this happens?"

I clenched my fists in anger when Ades' figure approached my family, aggressively grabbing them and forcing them into his burly arms.

Heesung tried to fight back but it was simply too much for him, and my mom had willingly given herself to him.

I gritted my teeth as anger and worry overcame me.

Sure I had an extremely toxic relationship with my mother. We had issues. Problems. But at the end of the day...she is my mother.

And my protectiveness was already a known fact, so need to explain.

I pounded on the invisible barrier between us, desperately trying to get to them. But I watched helpless as Ades took his sweet time to drain the life out of them.

Slowly but surely which was not only torture to them but to me.

No matter how hard I tried to break free of this blockade, I simply couldn't. Suddenly, I had wished it was me again suffering the pain.

"Let. Them. Go," I angrily spat as his voice mockingly laughed around me.

"I don't want to. It's fun watching you be so helpless. A taste of what's to come if you will. You're crumbling Heeyeon. Your spirit is breaking. And I am loving every minute of it."

"Put a sock in it would you. Why don't you stop being a coward and face me already? I've made it clear. I've got nothing else to lose, so it's between you and me now," I challenged.

"See, I would believe that. But that boyfriend of yours is way too attached to you. And I'm having fun toying with the dream team quite much. You surely don't think you're the only one suffering these do you? I have screwed all their happiness over as much as I have yours. You're all in this together. Some pathetic family bond," he droned on.

"Admit it. You're too coward to face any of us in person. We keep training and you're getting intimidated because you know you can't keep up," I huffed.

"That's not quite it my dear. I'm silently collecting what I need too. Really, you demigods are getting easier and easier to catch. And don't worry, I will be wreaking havoc in your physical lives very soon. Especially to you my dear. You'll know. You'll feel it. And you won't be able to do anything about it. You'll suffer betrayal and heartbreak. You were better off isolated," he threatened.

I continued to pound against this barrier, feeling pain shoot through me as I watched my brother crumble to the ground.

"HEESUNG!" I screamed.

Tears threatened to fall as I even more urgently tried to get through.

"Take me! Leave them out of this! You gods can't meddle in the mortal world. Leave the people out of this. This is between you and me, and eventually the demigods. But for now, it's between us."

I felt a sudden force grab me by the throat but I couldn't see it. So I was thrashing against nothingness essentially.

"In a way, you are technically my sister you know. But I don't believe blood runs thicker than water here. Because children of gods and halflings cannot be compared. You will not be on my level, and once all is right with our differing powers. That gap between you puny mortals and the divinity of the gods will be corrected by me. And I will be worshipped amongst those Olympians," he declared.

I couldn't say anything due to the weight on my throat, making me feel like passing out.

"The blood of you interbreds will correct the faults of our kind thinking that we could mingle with those humans. There will be a clear gap. And it starts with utilizing you."

I whimpered, unable to fight my way out. The thought and sight of my lifeless brother and mother spurred anger, frustration, and grief that simply could not work in conjunction.

I wanted to be the hero in someone's story for once. I wanted to make the difference in someone's life. In many people's lives.

I tried to repeat this mantra to myself. It kept me going when it felt like nothing else could.

But I had my back against the wall and was barely hanging on.

I wasn't strong enough yet.

And that put it all in perspective for me.

"I'll see you soon Cho Heeyeon."

And with that, I was only left with one after thought. That I needed to get rigorous. I had a purpose in that moment.

And it was to work my ass off until truly hold my own.

____________________________________
A filler chapter with good reason. We're marching towards some climatic moments so don't worry, I know the slow crawl is happening, but we're getting there.

Sorry for no updates but I will try and get them out asap ☺️