30. God's Wrath

Violence warning ⚠️
_________________________________

"Can I be honest with all of you?" I hummed, letting Jungkook's big arms protectively envelop me.

The other boys who had been distractedly eating their lunch had turned their full attention to me.

After the in-home Ades incident, the boys had gotten way more protective of me. They were now as invested in my problems as Jungkook was.

I took a deep breath, "I'm...really scared. It is so unbelievably nerve-wracking to wonder if I'm about to go home to this terrible God and then just not make it out. Or watch my mother or brother get hurt. Or see any of you get hurt. But the fact that he's so close makes me so anxious."

Jungkook rubbed my back, pressing fleeting kisses to the back of my neck.

"You know, it's okay to be scared. A lot is being asked of you, and all you want to do is protect those you love. No one could ever fault you for such a thing," Namjoon said.

"I don't think I'd be able to handle the pressure if I was in your position, so you've already mastered half of the battle," Hoseok said.

"In all honesty, fear is the onslaught of death. You fear death, but rather you fear something external and death comes about from letting blind fears get to you," Yoongi reasoned.

"That's kind of dark, but true. But Heeyeon, you're this raging tide. I think if anything, Ades should be afraid of you," Jimin added.

"You'll be okay Heeyeon! You've got the seven coolest guys backing you up," Taehyung cheered.

"Chin up. Show him just how stunning you are. Your beauty blossoms from confidence and it'll blow everyone, god and human alike, onto another planet," Jin smiled.

"Princess, you're so fierce. And your level of badassness is second to no one. I'd only say that you're second to me in being cool and super duper strong but other than that, you're a force to be reckoned with," Jungkook teased.

I gently smacked his thigh to scold him for the blatant lie he just told but it did make me laugh.

"Thank you, guys. I'm really grateful to have met you all, even if I don't show it often. I really am thankful for our meeting," I said, getting uncharacteristically sentimental.

But I was reaping the consequences of that because the boys wrapped me in a group hug, while embarrassingly cooing.

"Ugh, shouldn't have said anything," I groaned.

"Your hands better not hug lower than her shoulder, or I'll give you a raincloud that follows you everywhere," Jungkook threatened.

The others chuckled, breaking the hug just as the lunch bell rang.

Jungkook and I bid farewell to the other boys, walking hand-in-hand, feeling lighthearted without awareness of the unexpected climax our adventure would embark on.

Time Skip

After a long day, Heesung and I had arrived home, awaiting the blissful relaxation of the weekend, with the minor worry of finals that were fast approaching.

"Heesung come down! Heeyeon, you too!" Our mother called.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. That wasn't normal. As of lately, I barely existed to her. So what was the deal with calling me down with Heesung?

I went out with him only to see her frantically setting the table and panic cleaning.

"Heeyeon, fix up dinner. I need you to fix whatever I cooked while Heesung you help me set the table. We're having a guest and it needs to be perfect," she barked.