Fear of (un)known

“what comes here?" Krithi asked Shyam pointing Qno.5 on the question paper.

Board exam was over and they settled in the canteen. One of the favourite task of krithi is to discuss the answer after the exam which is unfortunately a horrible task for both Sam and Shyam.

“Today is the last exam, krithi. We already tore the paper. Please forget that for godsake,” Shyam said.

Krithi’s eyes went to the question paper, which Sam is having.

“Oh, this one?” Sam said and tore the paper into two equal halves.

Shyam grabbed it from her and tore that into two halves. “Now eat!!”

Radha was examining her right hand for a long time. She neither looked up nor ate. Sweat is dripping off her.

“Same curd rice?” Sam ceased her lunch box. Only then he notices her. “Hey what happened?”. He asked in Terror.

Krithi and shyam now turned their gaze towards her. Krithi placed her hand on top of her hand, which was cold as hell.

“Radha, your hand is so cold,”.

Radha didn’t look up. Her face is still down.

“Radha, look at me. NOW!!” Shyam raised his voice, which jerks Radha and eventually she did.

Her face was red, tears filled her eyes and sweat is dripping off her. She turned to krithi, leaned forward, hugged her tightly and started to weep.

Panic filled their faces. krithi brushed her hair and said, “It’s ok, radha.we are here. We are here.”

This is a usual thing. It’s difficult to live an imperfect life among the so-called perfect people. No matter how optimistic you are, sometimes sobbing is the only therapy that’ll heal your soul.

Sam and shyam are eating silently as they know any conversation further will end up worse.

Radha will not do it often. But when she does, she’ll sob out everything in one take and that therapy will last for several months. She will not say what happened, no matter how many times you ask or how much you force her to do it. When she is done with her crying, she will voluntarily tell to only those she trust. And that is rare. Shyam, krithi and sam tops the list.

“I can’t hold it anymore, krithi. Sorry, ” Radha said in between her sobs.

“You don't need to, radha. It’s ok,”

And they are the type of friends who’ll be like as if nothing happened. They will not say, “Tell what happened without sobbing. Only then we can figure it out. Stop crying, radha”. Instead they’ll be like “Cry as much as you want”

The other students around her will be like “what kind of friends they are”?. Sam and shyam will be like “Kind of best friends”.

Radha finally done with her crying. She wiped her face with her sleeve. Lunch time is up.

“We’ll meet at 7:00 sharp in the park. Okay?”

Krithi showed thumbs up and radha nodded.

When they are moving towards their class, some of the classmates enquired, “What happened, radha?. Why your eyes are red? Why did you cry? Have you left any question in the exam?”

Sam will shoo them away by saying “Not well”

.............

Sam was aiming at the empty cup again and everything was still.

“You know what?” Radha started to talk.

Everyone turned towards her.

“When I was writing the last five mark question, my pen slipped out from my hand,”. She tried hard not to crack her voice. “I cannot hold the pen again. But I cannot leave that question as such. So I tried hard. My handwriting went worse,” She paused. “It felt like writing in my left hand. It went back to normal after some time. Shyam, One day it too will become like my left hand, right?”