First sign

One year later...

Radha is now following Avi ( aka Aavnish) everywhere by moving on her knees and hands.She is one year now. Often she would go back after him, sit in the place where he used to and would clap her hands with a perfect smile. No matter how much liya tries to keep her off the way, she would always follow Avi. The new house is not bigger than the old one. But still, it is much better than that dark room. Even though the salary is limited, they lead a very peaceful life.

“Ma, Radha is following me everywhere. Even to the washroom,” Avi shouted and lifted her with utmost difficulty.

“Don't lift her Avi, how many times I need to tell you? “Liya said and got her from his hands.

“You are always telling me something or the other, ma. What did I do?. See how she is smiling,” Avi said pointing at Radha.

Radha is still laughing and clapping her hands in approval.

“She is just a one-year-old, Avi. How can she know all that,” liya said, hiding her grin.

“See, still laughing. I did nothing, ma,” Avi said

“I know you love Radha. But don't lift her again. You are not grown enough to do that, Avi,” said liya.

“Ok! I won't!!” Avi said

“Did you complete your homework, Avi?”

“They didn't give any…… homework. Mam said I'm doing great so no need of homework ah, ma,” Avi said, pondering here and there.

“Is it so? You've become smart, Avi,” liya said and stood up.

She went into the room and returned after 2 minutes with a diary in his hand. She opened and read it aloud.

“Dear mam, aavnish had not completed his homework for last two days. So kindly make him to do that,” liya completed the sentence. “So what did you understand from this, Avi?” Liya said, folding her hands.

Of course, Avi doesn't understand a thing. But the word “Homework” made him to shiver. Radha again laughed and clapped with the same perfect smile. Avi looked at her and signalled “shhhh” by placing his finger on the lips.

“Look here and answer, avi” liya said, raising her brows.

“Ma, I think that is the homework for the next week”Avi said, looking up.

Liya knelt down before him, stroked his hair. With a smile she said, “Yes, it is. I know you will complete it soon. And I know you will complete all the work in time”

Liya picked Radha up and said, “You have a brilliant brother, Radha”. She winked and left.

Aavnish is three years now. He is going to the kindergarten. His homeworks include writing alphabets, numbers for pages. He used to inform liya about the homework every day and then both will do them during the study time.

That evening, liya didn't show up during the study time. Avi went to the kitchen, got her hands and made her to sit with him. Radha followed him and made herself so
comfortable on Liya's lap.

“Ma, I didn't complete the homework for….. two.. days,” Avi said, spitting out the truth without looking at her eyes

“Then why did you tell lie?” Lia asked

“For Extra play time” Avi said, his head down.

“Why didn't you tell me straight away?”

“I thought you will scold me”