Regret

It is difficult to accept that you know what to do but you don't do it.
                                                                             ~paulo coelho

2 years ago (when Radha is 6 months in the womb)

“Liya.....” Ajith is standing at the entrance of the room looking for words. Avi is sleeping. He is almost 2 year now.

Ajith loves liya. But the only one who knows that is Ajith. He never reveals to her. Whenever he is trying to do it, Chitra will interfere in between. She doesn’t want ajth to be under Liya’s control. She always wanted ajith to be under her control.

“Liya I.....”

Even before ending the sentence, Chitra intervened, stood between them and declared “We are leaving”. She glimpsed at both of them and continued, “To Delhi!!”

Liya is anxious now. And the news is fresh to Ajith too. Number of questions are popping up “Are you crazy?” “Don’t you have eyes to look at?” “And why suddenly” “It is not safe for the baby” but the only word that showed up is “why?” Asked Ajith.

Chitra’s eyes would have burned Ajith by now. She went nearby, peered straight into his eyes and growled, “Do you need to know that?, Ajith”. She left the room without responding. When she was halfway to the hallway, Ajith asked again “why?”. She needs to answer now. No other go. She spun, with the evil smile she replied “Because we already reserved the tickets”. She disappeared without turning back. Ajith doesn’t have the guts to ask another. He glanced at liya who is now looking at her baby bump and then stared at Ajith like “Why can’t you say NO”. He was like “No use talking to her”. He turned to say something but ended up saying nothing.

Liya packed lunch for Ajith and he went off.

She secretly dialed her mom as they do not allow it when everyone is around.

“Ma, is it safe for the baby to travel?. To Delhi?” Liya asked.

“Obviously no liya!!” Preethi said from the other end.

“They’ve booked the tickets, it seems. What to do?”

“They?. It’s not Ajith?” Preethi inquired.

“No, ma,”

There was a long silence. Preethi doesn’t want liya to raise her voice against them. Because if she does, they would do something dreadful to her in return. And it’s not respect.

“Ma, are you there?”

“Yes...... Maybe they know better than me, liya. It might be safe,” Preethi consoled her, even though she feels it wrong.

“Safe?. What are you lecturing about, ma? Why can’t you come and talk “. Preethi doesn’t want to do it either. Because It is not part of Indian culture as she belongs to another family now.

“No, Liya. I can’t”

Liya is red with rage. “Then I will!!” She roared and ended the line.

“Who is it?” Asked a voice behind her.

Liya was taken aback, sweat trickling out, hands trembling. She wished to run inside. But she can’t. She needs to face it. She turned slowly to face Chitra who is standing in front of her, hands folded. Chitra raised her brows, demanding the answer.

“Phone....rang....I...attend,” liya blabbered.

Ajith entered the scene to get the keys. He diverted her mother by saying someone is waiting for her. Saying so, he left. Liya rushed to the room.