Chapter 7

Drake

The team won again. I'm struggling to remember the last time we lost at this point. The tables have fucking turned for us this season and I couldn't be happier about it, same goes for the rest of the guys. Which is why we've elected to pass on the usual post-win house party. Tonight, we're hitting the town.

I'm out back at Bar One having a smoke with some of the guys. And I'm talking weed here, I'm staying off the cigarettes. Haven't smoked a joint in a while either, but I'm celebrating here, lay off me. 

I head back in, still riding the high from the win. I got all my friends around me, Jax and Penn haven't left for Chicago/Toronto, Scar and Chord haven't left for Los Angeles yet either. Gang's all here. 

So obviously my smile slips the second my eyes find Shay across the bar, standing talking to Jax. What the fuck?

She wasn't at the game. And I know because hell if I didn't scour the entire bleachers stand looking for her before the starting whistle blew. Honestly, I was kinda disappointed she didn't go. Thought the girl had more balls than that. But now, here she is. She's got one ball at least. 

"Yo, Brent." I cut into his horrendous attempt at flirting with Maya. He'll have answers. "Why's Shay here? You ask her to come?"

"No, I think Jax did." Brent answers me, clearly annoyed I'm stepping between him and Maya. I mean, Maya looks relieved. And what, he doesn't get enough attention from Shay already? I've never really thought of Brent as the campus stud before, but he sure seems to be getting a lot of female attention lately. 

"See you guys later!" Maya says quickly before dashing away. Clearly my boy hasn't caught Maya's eye the same way he's caught Shay's. 

"Thanks a lot, man." Brent says sarcastically, looking after Maya as she leaves. "We were having a good talk before you barged in and scared her off."

"I'm not the one scaring her off, B. Trust me." I murmur, looking over my shoulder at Shay and Jax where they're standing by the bar service area. I haven't even ordered myself a drink yet. And suddenly, I don't think I'm gonna. I need to keep a clear head where Shay Hawthorne's concerned. I know Alisha and her friends are in here somewhere, and I don't wanna be breaking up another cat fight later. 

The night goes on, I do the rounds, I smile and thank all the people that congratulate us on our victory. And I don't drink, not a drop. I got one eye on Shay the entire time, especially when people start making noise about moving this over to the club. I'm down, as are the rest of the Panthers, and it looks like a bunch of us are about to head out. Shay's still here, sitting on a bar stool with Jax while nursing a beer. She's barely moved the entire night, and I've barely been able to look away. She's wearing a skirt, she's done her hair, she looks good. Too fucking good. 

"Drake, you ready?" Dash is by my side, happily tipsy as he finishes the last of his cocktail. "I wanna go daaaance with somebody. I wanna feel the heat with somebody!"

"Okay, Tina. Let's head out." Ryan laughs as he swoops in to lead Dash out of the bar. He flicks his gaze to me. "You coming?"

"Yeah, in a minute." I gotta glance back to gauge whether or not Shay's leaving now too. Her and Jax are getting to their feet, talking to Penn. I guess she is gonna come to the club. 

Whatever, she's not my fucking concern.

So the troops all head over to the club. Club T to be exact, the most popular night club in town. They serve alcohol here no questions asked as long as everybody behaves themselves, same as most of the bars. I think less than half the college kids in here tonight are actually legal to drink.