Chapter 78

Penn

~ One Week Later ~

I pinch the joint between my fingers, lighting it and inhaling the sweet smoke before tucking my lighter back into my pocket. I exhale, closing my eyes for just a second and allowing myself to enjoy this. It's been a while.

I switch off for a few minutes, resting my head back against the wall I'm leaning up against and just taking a much needed breather.

This past week has been heavy.

I've done well coping with this shit so far, with absolutely no vices to use as a clutch, until now. Maybe I'm weak for giving in and smoking in this moment, but fuck it. I know I have the strength not to become a habitual smoker again. I trust myself these days, and I know what's really important.

I'm just giving myself a few minutes here. So sue me.

"Penn?"

I'm snapped back to reality at the sound of my girlfriends voice, and I waste no time dropping the joint to the ground and stomping it out with my boot.

"Shit, Jacqueline." I mutter as I blow out the last of the smoke that was in my mouth, looking to the side and seeing her approach me with a timid smile. "You're not supposed to be here."

"Either are you." She replies, her smile turning coy. Little shit. She's lucky I love her, or she'd be in deep trouble right now. I sigh and shake my head, letting her off the hook. But as she comes to stand in front of me, I step away quickly, not wanting her to touch me right now. Smoke clings to clothes, you know. I need to wash up and change before letting her get her hands on me.

"Oh, come on." She cocks her head and frowns. "You used to smoke around me all the time. And I could use a hug, I know you could too. You wouldn't be smoking again otherwise."

Damn, a statement like that would have repulsed me this time last year. But now? I find that shit cute.

Especially given the circumstances. A fucking hug would be awesome right now, she's not wrong.

"Later, Jacqueline. This shit's not good for the baby, I don't want you breathing it in."

She rolls her eyes, but she keeps a safe distance from me, agreeing with what I said.

"So, how is she? Shay?" Jax asks, her expression turning sombre.

"She's dealing." I answer honestly, because my little sister really is fucking dealing with everything like a total boss. I always knew she was strong, but this is another level. After seeing Hunter in that car, and almost dying herself, what she's doing today is the cherry on top of the worst cake ever made. All in the space of a week.

"Is it done?" Jax asks quietly. I nod my head once, confirming that my little sister is in there right now, formally confirming the identity of Hunter Del Testa's corpse. Both parts, laid out on a gurney inside the morgue behind me, set up to look like they're still attached. But we all know his fucking head is no longer connected to the rest of his body. That shit is fucked up, and I threw a fit when the cops told Shay she'd need to be the one to confirm his ID - seeing as how she's his sole beneficiary in the event of his death. They had no choice but to put her through this crap, a whole week after the fact. She's a god damn hero for agreeing to this.

And Drake's a hero too for standing by her side as she does it.

Me? I tagged along for the fun, of course. Not. I just wanted to make sure she was okay.

The second the body bag was unzipped, and Shay nodded her head confirming that it was Hunter, I got the fuck out of there. She turned to Drake and he wrapped her up in his arms while she wept. She didn't even spare me a glance. Drake's the guy she needs right now, and I'm good with that. I'll wait for her, though.