Chapter 72

Maya

Southside, 16:12pm: I'm bored.

Me, 16:12pm: Me too.

Southside, 16:13pm: Where are you?

Me, 16:13pm: At Chanelle's for dinner. We're hanging with our friends tonight, but I know what I'd rather be doing...

Southside, 16:14pm: Care to enlighten me?

Me, 16:14pm: I really can't. I'd get all flustered and Chanelle would be suspicious.

Southside, 16:15pm: Guess I'll need to wait then.

Me, 16:15pm: I promise I'll enlighten you later tonight... If you'll finally give it up, that is.

Southside, 16:16pm: And if I don't show?

Me, 16:16pm: You'll show.

Southside, 16:16pm: So sure of yourself. It's not gonna happen, baby. Quit trying.

Me, 16:17pm: It is gonna happen, baby. I have a couple months left to seal this deal. You really need to get on board. My advances are only gonna become more aggressive the longer you shoot me down.

Southside, 16:17pm: Ugh, a hot girl aggressively trying to get in my pants. What a fucking nightmare, man. 

Southside, 16:17pm: Ever think maybe that's exactly why I shoot you down..?

I blink down at my phone screen, smiling to myself. I am this close to breaking him, I just know it. 

"Who's blowing up your phone?" Chanelle demands as she puts her make-up away, turning to look over her shoulder at me from her vanity. "Is it Leon?"

I roll my eyes, locking my phone as I dramatically lay back on her bed. "You know it's Leon."

"He is very persistent." Chanelle comments, wiggling her eyebrows at me before returning her attention to the task at hand; dolling herself up for whatever she has planned for us after dinner.

The truth is, Leon isn't persistent at all. Not anymore, not after I officially gave him the loud and clear brush off the other week. I haven't heard a peep out of him since, and I'm pretty sure he was only interested in me after the whole 'giving Omar head and letting him film me while doing it' misunderstanding. But Leon's an awesome beard for who's really blowing my phone up all the time.

"Should you be applying such heavy make-up before dinner?" I ask, frowning at the back of her head as she puffs more and more blush on to her already perfectly rosy cheeks. "Your parents will think we're going out to sneak into a night club or something."

"Don't be silly, Maya. You know they trust me." She replies vaguely, then she turns to give my appearance a quick analysis. "You could use a little extra product yourself. We have big plans."

"We do?" I pick up my phone again, not at all interested in whatever she has planned and more eager to get back to texting Alex.

"Yeah, we're going to the southside docks."

Okay, what?

I drop my phone on to the bed and sit up, my frown deepening as unease sets in.

"You know I can't go there." I state the obvious. The docks on the southside of town are shady as hell, everyone knows that. A lot of suspected organised crime goes on down there, and it's not a place I ever intend to willingly step foot in.

"Sure you can. Hunter invited us, he said there's a private boat party. It sounds totally exclusive, I'm really excited about it." She comments as she gets to work slathering on yet another layer of mascara. She does sound super excited, but I most certainly am not.