Chapter 79

Jax

"Alright, everyone! Listen up, please!" I address all of my friends loudly, cutting off all the separate conversations that were going on in the room. "I'll try to keep this little speech short, because god knows I can't to stop myself sometimes, so apologies in advance." 

Everyone laughs, and my eyes meet Penn's where he's standing in front of me, smirking down at me. Yeah, yeah. I talk too much, what else is new? 

"So anyway, you probably all know why I asked you to come here tonight." I go on, addressing the group. Everyone is here tonight, besides Shay and Drake. They're heading out to South Bridge for Shay's first visit with Axel since the car accident. 

Well, I say accident. But it was no accident. Hunter made it happen, he was his own demise in the end. It's quite poetic really. 

But whatever, tonight isn't about Hunter. 

It's totally about Shay. 

And I guess... A little bit about Axel, too. 

I look around everyone - Penn, Chord, Scar, Dash, Ryan, Lyra, Maya, Jace, Brent, Tristan and Izaak - glad to have their full attention while I say my piece. River is absent tonight, because although everyone is very taken with him, he's still very new on the scene. He's at Thornton House, and I believe he isn't alone. He hasn't wasted any time getting to know the NBU girls he's met around town. 

"We've all been through a lot together, and what happened to Shay last week is no exception. Sure, there have been up's and down's, but she's a part of our group now. I'm sure we all wanna fully embrace that fact."

"Right, but did we need to get all dressed up and come to Lillian's to do that?" Tristan calls out. I look at him where he's standing next to Lyra, Maya and Izaak, and I find him laughing. Lyra nudges him and tells him to shut up under her breath. I guess meeting up at one of the most expensive bars in town probably wasn't necessary, but... I like it here. I can't drink but I enjoy the vibe of places like this. And besides, I know my friends are all having a good time. It's a nice change of scene, at the very least. 

"I have a proposition for you all." I go on, choosing to kindly ignore Tristan's question. "And I know some of you might be uncomfortable with it, which is absolutely fine. I just wanted to get all of you guys together in one room to run it by everyone."

I look at Penn again, and he gives me an encouraging nod. I've already ran my idea past him of course, and he was surprisingly supportive. It gives me confidence with this, because Penn is one of the two people most likely to hate the idea. 

"What is it?" Lyra prompts, and I realise I spaced out a little. I smile and raise my voice again, capturing their attention. 

"I wanna throw a party for Shay." I start, and no one is scandalised. Not yet. The next part might make some jaws drop, though. "In September. After Axel's release, so that he can attend."

I give them a minute to digest what I just said, and as expected they don't exactly look thrilled. Everyone starts speaking at once, but there are too many people for that. I look to Penn, and he clears his throat before whistling loudly through his fingers. 

"Guys, shut the fuck up for a sec and listen to her. Line up in an orderly fashion for question time when she's done." He turns back and inclines his head at me as everyone quiets down, giving me the floor. I grin at him, grateful for the support. 

"The party will be for River too, of course. He's new around here, it'll be a good opportunity for him to get to know us all better." I continue, then I pause when Lyra's hand shoots up. Penn sighs and shakes his head, but I smile at Lyra, letting her know she can talk.