Chapter 41

Shay

"- Is there something going on between you and Drake?"

If I had a drink in my hand, I would most definitely be spilling it all over the counter right about now. 

I steel my features, putting my old Del Testa skills in self-preservation to good use. I can't let Jax catch on, but I need to know where the hell this is coming from.

"What?" I feign innocence. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Shay." Jax says with an all-knowing grin. "We're past lies and deceit now."

That we are.

"Okay, I'll try another tactic then. Why are you asking me that?" I think I'm being clever, not answering her question straight up. She ain't buying it.

"Shay, answer my question please. I really need to pee and Penn's gonna walk down those stairs any minute now. We're going over to my parents' place soon. Let's not drag this thing out. What's going on with Drake?"

Her smile is gone, she's being very serious about this.

I blow out a long, low breath, looking to the spiral staircase in the corner of the living room, making sure Penn isn't about to walk in on this.

"Things have happened between us, yes." I answer with stark honesty. "How do you know?"

"You're wearing his Daniels charm on your bracelet." She fills me the fuck in, gesturing towards my wrist.

"Shit!" I curse under my breath as I pull down the sleeve of my hoodie again. Fuck, fuck, fuck! I got complacent!

"Come on now, Shay. New jewellery never escapes my attention, unless it's new jewellery secretly purchased by Penn to replace old jewellery I accidentally lost... Whatever, I'm rambling." Jax explains. "I literally just noticed it though, so I'm still trying to piece this together. Can you clarify things for me?"

"I can..." I say slowly, my heightened sense of sound perking up. Someone's moving on the second floor, right above our heads. "I don't think this is the time or place, though."

"Why not?" Jax frowns, tilting her head. "I'm dying to know everything. I love Drake like a brother and obviously I love you like a sister. You guys would look so hot together, and hell you'd be totally great together. Did something happen in Atlanta? Have the two of you -"

"Sshhh!" I whisper-yell at her, because the noise upstairs is now making it's way on to the staircase. I straighten up and whip around, ready to smile at whoever this is.

It's Dash.

The one that knows it all anyway. The one I already trust.

Can I bring Jax in on this? I mean, I do trust her too...

Would being able to talk to them both maybe help me work through this shit storm of emotions I'm going through with Drake?

Worth a try.

"Evening, ladies. What's -"

Dash starts, but I stop him by rushing over and grabbing him by the hand. I command Jax to follow, leading them up to my room. Once we're safely inside, our movements undetected by whoever the hell else is in the house tonight, I lock the door and back myself up against it.

"Okay, I don't usually do stuff like this but you've both been awesome to me and I trust you and you both know enough as it is." I rush out, pausing to take a deep breath. They're standing next to my bed, looking at me like I'm delusional. I stand up tall, raising my chin and refusing to let myself back down from this.