Chapter 71

Maya

Today is gonna be a good day, because Alexander got his drivers licence last week and he can now legally drive that car of his. Not that being underage and only holding a learners permit stopped him before, but now that he's legal I feel much better about sneaking off in his car with him at night.

And that's exactly what we have planned for tonight.

I've packed a bag filled with snacks, some beers and Alex's copy of the Green Mile, because I'm finally ready to return it to him. I finished it a few nights ago and I'm not afraid to admit that I cried at the ending. I loved it, I really did, and I totally regret skimming through the book when I was younger. I should have read it properly, I shouldn't have taken it for granted, I should have listened to Alex.

I'm listening now of course, intently. And I just know he's gonna be thrilled about how much I loved the book this time around.

I wait until my parents are in bed, then I quietly make my way downstairs and out the back door. I quickly walk across the yard until I'm pushing my way through the branches of the oak trees lining the stone wall perimeter of daddy's estate. I wait at the wall until I can hear the low rumble of Alexander's car pulling up. I'm in the right spot, we worked this out the other night. Only problem? I have no idea how I'm gonna scale this wall. I can't use the main gates, my parents would hear them open and close and it's well past midnight already. I can't wake them, so getting myself over this wall is the only option.

Southside, 00:29am: Here. You gonna be able to do this, Little Rose?

I laugh as I read his text. He has so little faith in me. I'm not just a pretty little rich girl that can't get a leg up a high wall. I shove my phone into my backpack without replying to him, hitch my bag up on my shoulders, then I reach for a crack in the stone. I stumble and feel myself lose my footing a few times, but in minutes I'm at the top of the wall, panting and totally proud of myself for doing this. I look back at my dimly lit house, smiling to myself, then I look around at the road, seeing Alex's car just down the road. He's cut his headlights and engine, so that we can go undetected. I feel the familiar butterflies in my stomach just from knowing he's near as I swing my legs over, then I gulp back apprehension as I pretty much fall off of the wall, landing on the grass below with a worrying thud.

My knees and feet take the brunt of the fall, and I feel a sharp sting of pain in my muscles as I get to my feet, groaning. The sounds of a car door slamming shut hits me, followed by heavy footfall.

"Are you okay!? What the fuck was that!?" Alex demands when he reaches me. He leans down, gently taking me by the forearms as I steady myself on my feet. He looks concerned, but I just grin at him.

"Pretty badass, huh? I'm not a delicate little rose after all."

His worry evaporates as he laughs, then he leads me over to his car, taking my backpack off of my shoulders and carrying it for me. Such a thoughtless gesture on his part, but it means a lot to me. I feel my heart swell as I get into his car, buckling up ready for our first legal ride together.

"So, where are we going?" I ask him eagerly as he turns the keys over, starting up the engine.

"Wherever you want, baby." He mumbles, stepping on the gas and commencing our journey.

I smile to myself. Baby. He calls me that a lot now, between actually using my given name and calling me Little Rose. Ever since I turned fourteen and got into this car with him for the first time, it's like we turned another corner. We talked things out, I convinced him that I don't care about our differences, I just care about us being together. We've carried on kissing since then, and sometimes our hands have gotten a little adventurous, but not too much. We've never come close to bra removal or anything like that since that night, and it's fine by me for now.