Chapter 64

Drake

Shay, 16:57pm: I'm coming over. And I want my Daniels charm back, your dad gave it to me for a reason, after all. Throw in the jersey too, I liked wearing it xx

I re-read Shay's text, completely baffled and undeniably excited. I don't get this at all. It's so positive. Like... she wants me back? Like she no longer cares about the fact that I posted a video of us having sex? It makes no sense whatsoever. 

And I ain't at home, but I gotta get there real quick to find out what this is about. 

"Guys, I gotta leave." I shove my phone back into my pocket, standing up and addressing Tristan, Izaak and Brent where they're sitting at our table in Cafe Rose. First time I've been here since the scandal broke, but I knew Shay wasn't working tonight so I agreed to come when the guys suggested meeting for a coffee before practice. 

"What? Practice starts in half an hour." Zak points out, checking his watch. 

"I know, something's come up." I mumble, picking up my gym bag and shrugging it over my shoulder. "Tell coach I'm sorry, I got shit I need to deal with."

I shove my chair in then turn to leave, and I've barely made it out of the open plan cafe seating area when Tristan catches up to me, telling me to wait up. 

"What's going on? Everything okay?" T asks as he falls into step with me. I ain't slowing down and I ain't stopping, I need to get home ASAP. This could be some kinda cruel joke on Shay's part, but so what if it is? I need to at least show up, in case she does wanna talk to me about something. 

"Shay just texted me." I decide not to bullshit him. He's my friend and teammate, and since he moved in to the house we've only grown closer. T's an official Thornton Boy now in my eyes, I know he's got my back.

"For real?" He asks, but strangely he don't sound too surprised. "What's she saying?"

"She's on her way to the house, she wants to see me." I inform him as we carry on walking towards the Sports Building exit. 

He doesn't reply, so I glance in his direction and find him smiling to himself. The fuck? He catches my eye and drops the smile real quick, then he falls into a coughing fit. A fake ass coughing fit. I plant my feet, stopping my movements and narrowing my eyes on him as he stops just ahead of me.

"What?" He asks quietly, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. 

"Dude, don't switch your major to Drama, 'cause you can't act worth a damn." I cock an eyebrow, ignoring all the other college students walking around us. He knows something, and I want answers. 

He purses his lips, shrugs his shoulders, then bursts out laughing. Uh huh. The jig is up. 

"Start talking, T." I shake my head and widen my eyes, imploring him to fill me in on whatever's going on here. 

"No, I promised I'd let her give you the awesome news herself." He says as his happy laughter dies down. He beams at me. "Just get to the house, dude."

Adrenaline floods my system, and I waste no more time standing around here. I break into a jog, dodging past people I know and people I don't until I'm out in the parking lot and headed for my car. I ain't even surprised to find Tristan hot on my heels as I unlock the car and get in. He hops right into the passenger seat next to me. 

"Coach is gonna drill your ass for missing practice." I mumble as we both buckle up, then I start up the engine and gun it out of the parking lot.