Chapter 70

Maya

I consider Alexander's proposal for all of two seconds.

"Okay, yes. Let's go." I grin at him, reaching over my shoulder for my seatbelt. His eyes widen on me as he watches me buckle up, then he throws his head back laughing.

"What?" I don't get it. "You asked if I wanna go for a ride?"

"I wasn't being serious." He says as his laughter subsides. "You're the mayor's daughter. How would it look if I got pulled over for underage driving with you in my passenger seat? Maya Phillips out joyriding with a degenerate youth like me? Not okay."

He has a point, and I mean, I already knew it was a terrible idea. The danger just felt kinda exciting. I release my seatbelt slowly as he laughs at me again.

"Alright then, wise guy. You brought me out here to show me your car, but you aren't gonna drive it. So what do you wanna do instead?" I raise my eyebrows, ready for his smartass response.

His tongue flicks over his lip ring as his playful eyes skirt around to the backseat. He tilts his head in silent question. My heart skips a beat as I realise what he's alluding to.

He smiles, leaning forward to turn on the radio. Some god awful rock song is playing, but it's fitting music for the general vibe Alex puts out. I'm sitting in a car with a real life criminal, listening to rock music. He's tattooed, he's pierced, he's not a virgin, he's committed more crimes than I'd care to know about. He's an honest to god, actual bad boy. And the sudden realisation thrills me, right down to my toes.

"It's nice up front, but I guess I should check out your new car properly, give it a full once over." I reach for the door handle, watching as his eyes flicker between my lips and the back seat. "Show me the back?"

He doesn't bother answering my question and I never get around to opening the door, because no sooner have the words left my mouth than he's pulling me into the back, awkwardly through the parting between the driver and passenger seats. Our clumsy scrambled movements are silly enough to have me giggling, but the moment we're both sitting upright in the back, my laughter subsides immediately. He's looking at me in a familiar way, but somehow, it feels new.

Almost as new as the feeling going on in the pit of my stomach... And between my thighs.

I swallow hard as Alex reaches out to me, cupping my cheek with his rough hand and leaning into me. He kisses me and I melt into it, I always do. I love kissing him, it's my favourite hobby, has been since the first time it happened. But lately, things have been feeling... Well, different. It's hard to explain exactly. We used to kiss and it was more than enough for me. He would leave, I would smile and collapse on to my bed, squeezing my eyes shut and squealing happily, already looking forward to our next kiss.

But lately when we kiss, it doesn't feel like enough. It feels more like an appetiser, like there's something else, something better, right around the corner. Like it's just within my grasp but not quite.

And I know exactly what it is. I've read enough books and watched enough trash TV to know that my teenage hormones are starting to become a problem for me, and not just when Alex's lips are on mine. When I'm near him, when I look at him. It's ridiculous, and I'm afraid that there's only one way to address this.

But I can't, I'm still not ready. I only just turned fourteen today! I cannot have sex, I just can't. I'm scared and I don't know enough about it and I worry that I wouldn't know what to do and Alex would think less of me and ditch me and ohmygod I hope all these confusing feelings will go away when I'm a little older.