Chapter 15

Drake

"...I'll see you -"

I swiftly end the call, cutting Shay off.

Fuck, I am not prepared for this.

"Alright, everybody listen up!" I stand up and clap my hands together, commanding the attention of everyone in my house right now. Tristan, Izaak, Lucas and Mikey are chilling out in the living room, watching old game highlights from last years NCAA basketball final. All this does is remind me that the next game we play is gonna be televised, which puts the fucking fear of god in me. The guys are pretty excited about it though.

"Shay's on her way here." I inform, tone grave and face hard. Tristan's eyes light up, which pisses me the hell off. The others are reasonably unaffected by my news. "So, I'm gonna turn this kick back into a full blown party. Who do we know that's still in town, besides the rest of the guys?"

"I know some girls." Mikey offers casually, not tearing his eyes away from the TV.

"I know some people from South Bridge that might be down." Lucas contributes, hauling his phone out. Okay, good. This is good. I know some people too, so I'm gonna put the word out. I don't expect this to turn into a full blown party by any means, but the more the fucking merrier. Best way to avoid Shay and her old friends is to fill my house with as much people as I can get my hands on.

I text Lyra and Jace, knowing she spent Christmas at home with the family, and knowing that Jace spent the day with the Evans' too. He was gonna fly home to see his folks but the doctors still haven't removed his cast and you can't fly with a cast on in case it contracts or some shit. Jace didn't like the idea of public transport and he couldn't drive all the way home with a bad arm, so he spent Christmas in his home away from home, with the Evans family. Works for me, if he's down to cut loose tonight that's one extra body in the place. Hell, Lyra can bring her brothers over too if she wants. Jonah turned fourteen a couple weeks ago, I liked to party when I was fourteen so maybe he does too now.

Whatever, I just need the highest body count I can wrangle together.

I put the boys to work pushing all the living room furniture back and arranging all the alcohol on the kitchen island. I hook up the music, I change out of my sweats and into jeans, I pour myself a vodka coke straight off because I need to fucking relax. Before long, the front door is opening and closing rhythmically and I can feel my heart beat slow back to normal as I watch my living room get busier. It's not a rager, not at all, but it'll do. There are enough people here for me to reasonably ignore Shay, and that's all that matters.

"Yo, D. Quick question." Tristan says as he pours himself a drink. "Why did Shay showing up mean we suddenly had to invite a bunch of people over?"

"She's bringing her friends from Chicago with her." I reply, looking around the living room as my teammates mingle with a bunch of people I recognise and some I don't.

"Ah, I see." Tristan says with a frown. "The boys from the hood? You thought it made sense to invite a bunch of college kids over here to party, when you knew there would be two certifiable drug dealers in the mix?"

I almost choke on my vodka. Fuck, I hadn't even considered that.

"I mean, if they wanna sell us some grade A Chicago gas, I'm down. But aren't you worried they'll bring in the harder stuff?" Tristan queries. I purse my lips, hoping he's wrong. But then I pull out my phone, thinking back to what Shay said when she called me. I shoot a quick text off to Penn.

"She told me Penn was okay with her bringing those guys around here." I inform Tristan, watching the three dots move on the screen of my phone as Penn types out a reply already.