Chapter 26

~ A/N: This chapter briefly touches on a potentially triggering topic, regarding rape (non descriptive!). The sensitive part is highlighted, skip it if you want to. What you need to know is that Hunter has no relationship with his biological mother, she was used by Tony in the interests of him fathering a child because Annette couldn't have kids. ~ 

Shay

I slam the door of Hunter's shiny new car shut, storming around to the trunk to get my stuff. Hello, airport. Goodbye, Chicago. Goodbye fucking everything and everyone that lives here, I am so far past done with this place. I have very few friends in North Bridge but I'll take that over spending another minute in this city. I need to put some miles between me and this hell hole as soon as possible.

"Shay, this isn't the big deal you're making it out to be. You need to calm down. As soon as I'm married -"

"Hunter, stop. I've heard enough." I growl as I slam his trunk closed, hitching my duffel up my shoulder as I glare at him. This guy in particular. This guy, I need some fucking distance from.

He shoves his hands into the pockets of his slacks, tilting his head at me as he sighs. I purse my lips and refuse to give him any more clap back about this whole shit show. We've had the arguments, I've done the yelling, he's done plenty sighing. We're officially fucking done here.

After we left Tony's mansion the other day, all hell broke loose. I demanded answers about this whole beneficiary thing and boy, did I get them.

So it turns out Hunter needed to legally identify a beneficiary for his estate in the event of his death because, as things stood, his estranged mother would stand to inherit all his assets if he dies. I mean, the dude ain't planning on dying any time soon but when he moves up the ranks to fill his fathers shoes at the top of the food chain, provisions need to be made just in case. There are plenty of people (high up Quantrell's especially) that would quite literally kill to see the head honcho of the Del Testa gang dead, so it's only sensible for that person to make sure their affairs are in order. Tony wouldn't have it any other way, and he sure as hell doesn't want all the money he's worked for over the years to default to Hunter's mother. So, Hunter picked me. Of all the fucking people on planet earth he could choose to lumber with this shit, he chose me. He says it's a good thing, says it proves how much he trusts me to do the right thing with his fathers fortune if he does end up getting whacked. I don't see it that way of course, not at all.

So I threw a fit, demanded to know why he didn't pick someone else, someone more fucking involved in all that illegally earned money he's about to inherit. He said there's no one he trusts more than me, no one he values more. I should have been flattered but I really wasn't. Like I want to have millions of dollars worth of blood money on my hands. It's a huge burden to bare and I don't wanna bare it, not at all. Regarding the legal paperwork I had to sign with the lawyers, that was just a bunch of NDA bullshit making me promise that, should the money fall to me, I will never tell a soul how Hunter Del Testa came to possess so much money in the first place. I mean as far as the bank goes it's all clean. Tony's business obviously includes a sophisticated money laundering operation and nobody would ever suspect a thing. 

But I would know, and that's what I'm not happy about.

Naturally, Hunter pointed out that the blood money I'm so uncomfortable with all of a sudden is the very money that allowed me to go to a fancy private school and live in a nice mansion and wear designer clothes. He also reminded me that I had no problem scamming all those old rich dudes barely a few months ago. Yeah, well, it's funny how a person can change in just a few short months after being taken out of a shitty situation and placed into a good one. I'm straight now, and Hunter hates it.