Chapter 27

Drake

"I'm getting coffee, who's coming?" Tristan announces as we file out of the gym after our last practice before the big game. The fucking final. 

"I'm in, Café Rose or Symposium?" Mikey asks. 

"Café Rose, we can use Brent's employee discount." Tristan wiggles his eyebrows at Brent, who responds by shoving him along the hallway. 

"Fuck off, I don't work there anymore. I don't get money off shit." Brent grumbles playfully. 

"You were literally working there last week." Mikey points out, then he turns his attention back to me and Izaak. "You guys coming?"

"Nah, I'm meeting Maya." Zak replies coolly. "I'll see you guys tomorrow morning. Bus leaves for Durham at seven AM, right?"

"Dude, you should not be confirming the time we leave tomorrow." I input with a frown. "That shit should be imprinted on your brain by now."

"Seven sharp, so don't let Maya distract you in the morning!" Tristan says with a wink. 

"Why do you think I'm seeing her now?" Zak grins at us before he breaks off. "Later."

We say our goodbyes to the fifth member of our A team for tomorrow's game, and I try to ignore the disappointed look on Brent's face as Zak heads off for the main doors. He isn't over Maya yet and it sucks for him, but maybe he can channel some of that emotion into the game. Sure as hell worked for him in the semis, dude was on fire when we won against Temple. 

But this is Duke. The fucking big time. Hopefully his sorrow over Maya won't resurface too much tomorrow night, just enough for him to bring the fire again.  

"Coming for a coffee, man?" Tristan asks me as we walk out into the main foyer of the sports building. I think it's a little late for coffee. 

"Nah, I'll see you at home." I reply, just as my eyes land on Shay wiping down the coffee machine behind the counter at the coffee shop. Her hair's all wild and tied up in a messy bun, she's wearing the Café Rose apron (a deep green Starbucks imitation with a rose picture instead of a mermaid) and she looks cute as fuck while she's busy at work. I've pretty much avoided the place ever since she started working there, but now... We're on decent terms again. And I wouldn't mind watching her work for a while longer. 

"Actually, fuck it. One cup won't hurt." I say to Brent, Tristan and Mikey. Then I lead the way over to the shop, my eyes fixed firmly on Shay as the four of us sit down at a free table. 

"Hey!" Brent calls over to Shay, beaming at her. I narrow my eyes on him just a little. His turmoil over Maya has made his platonic feelings for Shay crystal clear to me, but I still get these annoying jealous pangs every time I witness how god damn friendly those two are. 

"Is it right that Shay looks this hot in a waitress apron?" Tristan comments with a smirk as she approaches our table. I cut my glare to Tristan. 

"What? Lyra's ass not enough for you?" I mutter, just as Shay reaches us.

"Four waters, right?" Shay asks with a smile. Damn, that smile. 

"Nah, four coffees." Mikey corrects her. 

"Didn't think you ballers would be drinking coffee this late the night before the big game." She replies with a hand on her hip.

"We're big boys, we'll be just fine." Tristan says flirtatiously. I kick him under the table and he shoots me a frown.

"You got your ticket, Shay?" I ask as I look around at her, ignoring Tristan as he bends over to rub his shin.

"I did, Brent hooked me up." She answers, smiling at Brent. "I didn't know it was an away game. North Carolina, pretty exciting. I've never been that far south."