Chapter 75

Drake  

~ Present ~

I stop running when I get to the edge of the cliff, my eyes fixed on the ocean below, and adrenaline about a fraction of a second away from coursing through my veins.

Jace tracked Shay's cell like he said he would, and he followed her car to this location - just in time to see the car fly off the edge of the cliff and into the water.

He called me, told me what happened, then abruptly ended the call. His car sits abandoned on the cliffs edge, the driver door wide open, and his shoes strewn across the road.

He's down there.

He jumped in.

But I can't. Fucking. See him.

Or her.

"Cops are coming over." Dash says from next to me. We just got here, my brothers got in the car and sped out with me as soon as I got the call from Jace. Dash, Ryan and Tristan are by my side, and I know they feel just as helpless as I do. We're on the side of the road up on the cliff. And Jace is down there. She's down there.

"Fuck this." I mutter to myself, kicking off my shoes and quickly glancing down, trying to gauge the jump Jace must have done to get into the water. It's huge. We're at least a hundred feet above sea level, any sane person wouldn't attempt this. But Jason did.

And he ain't the one that's hopelessly in love with the girl in the car.

"D, no." Dash says firmly, grasping my elbow and squeezing. "Jace is literally James Bond for a living. He does this shit in his sleep. You are not equipped to make that jump."

"What if he were down there?" I snap back, cocking my head towards Ryan. The two seconds of thought Dash puts into my question is long enough for me to shrug out of his hold, rip my hoodie off over my head, and dive off the edge.

"Stop!" I hear a man yell on my way down. Probably one of the cops that just arrived on the scene, same as us. Yeah, well fuck him. The cops have made absolutely no move to get in the water in the thirty seconds since they showed up, and in this type of situation... every second counts.

How long can a human hold their breath under water?

No idea. But I'm about to find out.

My hands slice through the water, closely followed by the rest of my body, and fuck it's cold. I open my eyes immediately and concentrate on my arms and legs working, diving down and down into the dark depths, with no fucking idea which direction I should be going. Jace called me almost a half hour ago now. That's too long, right? That's gotta be too long. I've barely been submerged for ten seconds, and already my lungs are begging for relief. No fucking way a person could stay under for a half hour. It just ain't possible.

But I gotta hold out hope. Otherwise...

I don't wanna think about that.

I whip my head around as I swim, desperate to see something, anything, under the water. The car flew off the cliff from this direction, it can't have gotten that far away, right? Not this soon. I have to be close. I just have to be.

And then I see it. A faint glow from headlights. I swim towards the light and my heart stutters as the familiar car comes into view, tangled up in sea weed and wedged between some rocks. I can barely make anything out past the headlights, they're beaming right towards my direction of travel, so I swim to the side as I get closer.

My skin crawls and my blood runs cold as I approach the car. I don't know what I'm gonna find here, but there's absolutely no sign of Jason, and that scares the shit out of me. The car is here, so why the fuck isn't he!? It's been half an hour. Thirty god damn minutes.