Chapter 23

Hero's POV:

My heart has never stopped racing since I found Jo in the bathroom. The amount of pain behind her eyes was damn near unbearable to look at. I called Anna to come with us because I figured she would know more about what to do in a situation like this and I needed help so that I could help Jo.

"What is going on, Hero. I need you to tell me exactly everything you know," Anna whispers to me, I assume so Jo can't hear through the door, her face looking like she's just seen a ghost.

"Jo took a pregnancy test the other day. I asked her to after she had been sick those couple of days. She was throwing up in the morning and then when she about passed out on set," I begin to explain.

"And?!" Anna motions for me to continue.

"One of the tests was positive. The other one I guess was negative. I saw them. I didn't even know that could happen, but whatever, anyways she made an appointment here on our day off and had bloodwork done to see if she actually was. She still hasn't gotten her results back, but Anna..." my voice is quiet as I explain the situation, my hands running through my hair.

"Why didn't you guys tell me?!" Anna exclaims, almost in a scolding manner.

"We didn't know for sure! We didn't want to freak everyone out if she wasn't!" I say, my voice rising above a whisper.

"I'm so confused, Hero. Are you together? Was this a one-time thing? I mean..."

"Jo and I have been sleeping with each other since we finished filming the first movie. We're together," I say, avoiding eye contact.

"And you don't use protection?! Hero, I thought you guys would be smarter than that," Anna says, her eyes softening.

"She was on birth control," I say, divulging more of Jo's personal business to her.

"This is just all so much. I'm sorry. Hero, you know I'm not upset with you guys. I always wondered if there was something more between you two. I'm just upset that you guys didn't tell me sooner," she says, reaching out to hug me.

Her hands wrap around my waist and I embrace her short frame as well. Anna has always taken care of Jo and I. She's like the mother we need when we are so far away from our own.

"I'm worried about her," I say, my eyes fixated on the picture hanging on the wall in front of me.

"I know you are. I am too," she says, pulling away from me as she rubs her hand along my back.

"I think she lost the baby," I whisper, my eyes feeling like they're on the verge of filling with tears.

"You said she didn't get the results back yet. It could be something else," Anna looks deep into my eyes, trying to comfort me.

"I just have a feeling they were positive," I whisper, trying to choke back the emotion creeping in.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey, readers! These last few chapters have been emotionally draining, i'm sure you can tell. I will admit, I almost cried writing them, thinking of how hard something like this is to go through. I hope you're enjoying the story so far and I didn't turn you off while taking this route. I try to hone in on how much I imagine Hero wants to care and protect Jo when faced with such difficulty. I'm so thankful for how many readers there have been so far and this is such a fun little project to escape day-to-day life for a bit. I look forward to sharing the next chapter with you!

-JES